497Re: [cooking_rumpolt] OT: 16th c. German, not Rumpolt

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Mar 9, 2010
      Gwen Cat wrote:
      >Thank you for repeating the link. I am skimming things as I am at
      >work. and having skimmed over the link I would suggest the ihnen is
      >the Turks (turkish peoples) since the entire article is about the
      >food they eat (and his opening statement seems he is underwhelmed:
      >the turks eat poor wretched (miserable) foods/dishes that one
      >shudders (to think about eating them)...

      I really love that opening :0)

      Clearly Dernschwam had his own ideas of what was good food, and what
      he was seeing in Turkiye did not meet his expectations. I suspect
      that we can learn a bit about European attitudes to their own
      cuisines by reading their descriptions of food they come across in
      foreign countries.

      Dernschwam has more derogatory comments farther along, too.
      --
      Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
      the persona formerly known as Anahita