494Re: [cooking_rumpolt] OT: 16th c. German, not Rumpolt

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Mar 9 9:49 AM
      Gwen Cat wrote:
      >I disagree with your interpretation of gericht. Yes, Gericht is
      >court of law, and gericht is associated with right/correctness, BUT
      >in this case 'ein gericht' is 'a dish' as in prepared food. I do
      >not think the definition has changed from then to modern.
      >
      >As for who the ihnen refers to I would lean toward a particular
      >people. not having seen how this fits in context I hesitate to
      >guess, but if it is part of a travel report then perhaps the ihnen
      >are his hosts????

      It is from a long section where Dernschwam talks about food and various dishes.

      I gave the link to the text in my first message on Thomas Gloning's site:
      http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/dernfood.htm
      --
      Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
      the persona formerly known as Anahita