492Re: [cooking_rumpolt] OT: 16th c. German, not Rumpolt

  • wheezul@canby.com
    Mar 9, 2010
      >>Item, schaffen flaisch, klain gehagt, des thut man ein loffel
      >>voller auff ein wein plat, wigkelt man zusamen wie ein krapffen.
      >>Daruntter hagt man auch sawere pflawmen, sewdt man allein
      >>im wasser ab, das sol bey inen auch ein guth, herlich gericht
      >>sein vnd hot darzw die wein pletter vberal fail.

      This sentence seems to be a sticking point.

      das sol bey inen auch ein guth, herlich gericht

      Let's analyze each word for nuance because as translators, especially ones
      not fluent in the language from birth, tend to go with what matches our
      perception and we don't understand the breadth of a word. Especially
      since we are talking older forms.

      das = that
      sol = sollen = should (in the sense of obligation)
      bey = bei = by (in the sense of near perhaps)
      inen = ihnen = here we need to determine what this pronoun is referring?
      In some cases it can mean 'you' but the earlier form in the recipe uses
      'man' which is more the equivalent of using 'one'. It also is the word
      for 'them' which I think makes more sense in the context of the
      instructions as referring to the grape leaf packets.
      auch = also, as well, in addition, too
      ein = a or one
      guth = gut = good (in the sense of quality)
      herlich = herrlich = Grimm's worterbuch advises there are several meanings
      to the word, but that in usage up to the 19th century it meant usually
      lovely or pretty and was used to describe things like dishes and weather
      or lovely girls, for example, in the medieval period. The word can also
      mean lordly.
      gericht = correctness (in terms of law - think of the English word 'right'
      and 'rights' to get a sense of how to think of the term) "Machs recht" is
      a very common statement in the cookbook I'm working in that I think means
      to make as is correct or "until done".
      sein = to be

      So let's put the concepts into English word order

      In addition that them (they) should be near a good lovely correctness

      which when I try to wrap my head around it may mean "until they look
      correctly well done".

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic