491Re: [cooking_rumpolt] OT: 16th c. German, not Rumpolt

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Mar 9, 2010
      Ranvaig wrote:
      > >Still happy if anyone else gives it a shot. I did this because even i
      >>could see that the one i saw repeatedly on the web was inaccurate.
      >
      >Where did you find it on the web?

      For example:
      http://www.tecpublishing.com/Assets/Sarayi_42.pdf

      http://www.cookingwithsheilah.com/cws_review_Sarayi.html

      http://tastesofmaviboncuk.blogspot.com/2008/03/hans-derschwam-stuffed-grape-leaves.html

      Other examples can be located because in Channon's translation,
      Dernschwam is spelled without the "n", and hers is the only place
      i've seen his name without the "n".

      In her text Dernschwam is described as a young man in Istanbul,
      except that he was born in Bohemia in 1494 (and died in 1568), so
      when he was in Istanbul from 1553 to 1555, he was 59 to 61.

      >Any translation is better than no translation, that's what got me started.

      :)

      >Any posting about medieval German food is on topic here. I started
      >the group for my Rumpolt translation, but it isn't limited to that.
      >Anything you post would be very welcome.

      Thanks.

      >I believe this recipe is included in Mistress Hauviette (Channon
      >Mondoux) Celebration at the Sarayi. It was one I test cooked, but my
      >notes are on a dead computer. http:www.rencuisine.com

      Her version of the recipe is incompletely translated, perhaps because
      the person who did it for her had trouble with those last two lines,
      too. Hers ends, "Serve hot", except in the original "hat" does not
      mean "hot".

      > >Item, schaffen flaisch, klain gehagt, des thut man ein loffel
      >>voller auff ein wein plat, wigkelt man zusamen wie ein krapffen.
      >>Daruntter hagt man auch sawere pflawmen, sewdt man allein
      >>im wasser ab, das sol bey inen auch ein guth, herlich gericht
      >>sein vnd hot darzw die wein pletter vberal fail.
      >
      >thut is tut - do or put, I think "fail" might be "full" or filling.
      >I'd translate it as:
      >
      >Item, sheep meat, chopped small, that one puts a spoonful on a grape
      >leaf, one winds (or wraps) it together like a dumpling, among it one
      >also has sour plums, one boils off only in water, that should be for
      >them also a good lordly dish and has thereto the vine leaves always
      >over the filling.

      That is kind of what i thought vaguely, something about vine leaves
      over the dish. Thanks for the clarification.

      >At 12:40 PM -0800 3/8/10, wheezul@... wrote:
      >>A krapffen is a fritter, usually filled with somethig.
      >
      >Krapffen are a filling wrapped in dough like a pierogi or ravioli. I
      >haven't seen any unfilled ones.

      Agreed, all the krapfen recipes i've seen have fillings.

      Again, thanks to all for the help. I will be able to poke my nose
      further into Dernschwam in April. It's good to know i won't be
      flailing helplessly, especially since my knowledge of German is so
      rudimentary.
      --
      Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
      the persona formerly known as Anahita