488Re: [cooking_rumpolt] OT: 16th c. German, not Rumpolt

  • wheezul@canby.com
    Mar 8, 2010

      > Item, schaffen flaisch, klain gehagt, des thut man ein loffel
      > voller auff ein wein plat, wigkelt man zusamen wie ein krapffen.
      > Daruntter hagt man auch sawere pflawmen, sewdt man allein
      > im wasser ab, das sol bey inen auch ein guth, herlich gericht
      > sein vnd hot darzw die wein pletter vberal fail.

      Item, sheep's flesh, hacked small, one takes a spoon
      full on a wine leaf, folds together like a fritter
      thereunder one has also sour plums, one boils them alone
      in water, that (i.e. until) they are each of a good pleasing state (i.e.
      they look good)
      and the wine leave have (hot=hat) overall breaking down (where fail =
      fehlen - in the sense of disintegrate or in other words the leaves start
      to fall apart and are soft enough to eat?)

      A wecklein is a rectangular shaped roll of bread. A krapffen is a
      fritter, usually filled with something.

      There's my down and dirty quick translation.

      Katherine B