      From: "lilinah@..." <lilinah@...>
      To: cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, March 8, 2010 12:29:39 PM
      Subject: [cooking_rumpolt] OT: 16th c. German, not Rumpolt

      I hope it is not inappropriate to post this here. It's 16th c. German
      and about food, but not from Rumpolt...

      I'm teaching a class on 15th and 16th c. Ottoman cooking very soon.
      Stuffed vine leaves do not show up in Ottoman cookbooks until the
      18th or 19th century. However, Hans Dernschwam mentions them in his
      account of his visit to Kostantaniye (Ottoman for Constantinople) in
      the late 16th c.

      Here is his description from Thomas Gloning's site
      http://www.uni- giessen.de/ gloning/tx/ dernfood. htm

      Item, schaffen flaisch, klain gehagt, des thut man ein loffel
      voller auff ein wein plat, wigkelt man zusamen wie ein krapffen.
      Daruntter hagt man auch sawere pflawmen, sewdt man allein
      im wasser ab, das sol bey inen auch ein guth, herlich gericht
      sein vnd hot darzw die wein pletter vberal fail.

      I've got it *very roughly* translated, up the last two lines, where i
      get stuck:

      Item, sheep meat, finely chopped, of that one spoon
      full on a vine leaf, one wraps together like a krapfen.
      Also include chopped sour plums, and boil it alone
      in water,
      (here's where i fall down)
      (sol bey) them also a good, marvelous dish/meal
      are and hot thereto the vine leaves over all (fail)

      This is the only list i'm one where most people are interested in
      Medieval German cooking, and familiar with cooking terms of the
      period.

      My thanks for any assistance.

      I'd really love to get all of Dernschwam's comments about food in
      Istanbul, Hungary, etc. translated. I've got some of them done, but
      not all. It's not terribly long, but my medieval German is sketchy.
      --
      Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
      the persona formerly known as Anahita