231RE: [cooking_rumpolt] Proper type of beans?

  • otsisto
    Jun 14, 2009
      Okay, now that I have finally got my brain to shift to 2nd gear,
      Rumpolt is 1585 therefore the John Gerard herbal may apply as it was printed
      in 1600.
      In "Of the History of Plants" page 1216, under "The Names", Last paragraph;
      "This plant is named in English, Kidney Beane, Sperage Beanes: of some
      Faselles, or long Peason, French Beanes, Garden Smilax, and Romane Beanes:
      in French, feues de Romme: in Dutch Turcksbonnen."

      Note: Sperage beanes are not Sperage (asparagus) which is also in the book.

      De
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic