2125RE: Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Re: translation/interpretation question

  • cfaolbran
    Oct 3, 2013

      ---In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, <cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      >It is possible he mentions nitrate, but I didn't recognize the
      reference. I'll double check the recipes.

      It is very rare to see nitrites referenced. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any actually. When you look at the composition of the salt available in this period and earlier, in particularly quarried salts, nitrites and nitrates occur naturally in semi-useful quantities. Cold smoking introduces more of each but penetration is dependant on moisture etc. etc. Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) was very occasionally referenced as a cure compound though the source is escaping me at the moment - chime in if you happen to recall!

      While sodium nitrite is effective at preventing botlism it isn't the only thing that does, it works in concert with the fermentation process, smoking and salting.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic