2117Re: [cooking_rumpolt] translation/interpretation question

    Sep 29, 2013
      Sorry, I was away from home and email for a few days. I'm not sure
      I'd interpret it as confit, because it says "a little olive oil".
      I'm no expert on sausage though. What do others think? Gwen Cat,
      are you listening?
      Ranvaig

      >A friend gave me five pounds of boar meat (well, wild pig really) and I
      >wanted to try one of the Rumpolt sausage recipes. I decided to use
      >Schweinen 33:
      >
      >Take meat from the wild pig/ cut it small/ and take the large intestine
      >from the pig/ cut the meat and fat small/ take a stick and pound small/
      >cracked pepper/ that it falls apart/ put it with the salt/ and rub the
      >pork meat with it/ (and presumably stuff into the intestine) tie the
      >intestine tightly over over each other/ then hang it up/ and let become
      >dry/ put it in no heat/ but just that the smoke hits. And when you want
      >to keep (store) it long/ especially in a company/ then smear it with a
      >little olive oil/ enclose it in a barrel/ then you can take out one
      >after the other/ and let boil an hour three or four/ until the sausage
      >is large/ let them become cold/then you can eat them/ as long as you
      >will keep (store) them.
      >
      >Pretty straightforward and it's cold-smoking now. But then there's the
      >end bit about in a company smearing with olive oil and enclosing in a
      >barrel. There's another recipe that says something similar for a
      >venison sausage (Hirsch 25): However if you are in a crew/ then spread
      >it with olive oil/ and enclose in barrels/ then they keep a year or three.
      >
      >My initial thought is that this is for military companies, who need
      >long-lasting travel food. But am I reading it right to essentially
      >confit them in olive oil after they've been cold-smoked and dry-cured?
      >
      >Thanks!
      > Wulfric, curious to try more of the German sausage recipes

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic