210Eyngemacht

  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
    Apr 8 6:59 AM
      Sorry for the long silence. Lately, I have been pondering Rumpolt again, specifically the meaning of "Eyngemacht".

      As we have discussed before, modernly it means pickled, canned, or preserved. In Rumpolt sweets are "eyngemacht" in sugar, but its not so clear exactly what it means for savory dishes to be "eynmachten". I found this reference that makes me wonder.

      Allerley kleine Vögel die lebendig seyn/ in einer Pasteten eyngemacht kalt.
      Assorted small birds that are living/ "eingemacht" cold in a pie

      --- live birds, so they can't have been preserved, pickled, marinated, or even sauced!!