208Re: Steinhüner

    Nov 6, 2008
      --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:

      > >I am with Ranvaig in that "trucken" is a variation of "trocken"
      and means dry. But in trying to make sense to English speakers, I
      sometimes think that translating too literally can be confusing to
      those who don't understand German grammar. The idea that one serves
      this dish "dry" bothers me because "dry" sounds unappetizing to me.
      If I were the translator, I would change the meaning to "plain".
      Serve it plain or with a sauce. Otherwise someone might make this
      dish without any moisture and that would be awful. YMMV.

      > Yes "trucken" means without a sauce, and I think I will add that in
      parentheses.

      > so nim~ frische saure Limonien/ walger sei fein zwischen zweyen
      Tüchern/ so werden sie lind vnd weich/ schneidt sie voneinander/ vnd
      druck den Safft vber das gehackt

      > then take fresh sour lemons/ roll them nicely between two cloths/
      like this it becomes mild and soft/ cut it from one another/ and
      press the juice over the hash/ thus it becomes well tasting and good.

      > But the question was how to translate "truck" in reference to lemon
      juice. It doesn't make sense to say the juice is dry, press suits
      the sentence better. I'm not sure it makes sense to say "trucken"
      means "trocken" but "truck" means "drücken" or do they both have the
      same root?

      > Ranvaig

      Hi Ranvaig,

      If we have something like:
      so truck saur Limoniensafft darauff

      we can see that we are dealing with an instruction (an imperative
      sentence) and that "truck" is a verb, or more precisely, the
      imperative form of a verb. It cannot be a variant of "trocken"
      because the verb "to dry" in German is "trocknen", which would have
      an imperative form "trockne". This leaves us with the conclusion that
      it is a spelling variant of the verb that in modern German would have
      the spelling "drücken".

      German is a highly inflected language. In German, nouns, verbs and
      adjectives have endings, and these give the reader a clue about what
      kind of word we are dealing with. "Truck" is simply not a form of the
      adjective "trucken". But it is the imperative form of the
      verb "trucken".

      According to the Grimms, "drücken" and "trocken" do not have the same
      root.

      Best regards,

      Christina
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic