175Re: Vom Lamb 2

    Oct 30, 2008
      --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:

      > >"einmachen" is to pickle or to preserve. Making aspic out of
      animalss
      > >heads is still done in germany, though mostly with pig's heads
      > >(Schweinskopfsülze, pig's head aspic).
      > >I suspect this is what this recipe is trying to tell us, you simmer
      > >the head in the broth and the broth contains so much natural
      gelatine
      > >from the bones that it will set into aspic.
      >
      > I know that what the dictionary says. "Einmachen" has always been
      one of my problem words. When I find words like this, I search for
      the document for other uses, to try to get a clearer understanding.
      In many cases preserved or pickled would fit, in others it is not so
      clear.

      > For the sweet things, I think candied might be a better
      translation. There is also a whole chapter "Von Allerley
      Eyngemachten.

      > Having collected these, I wonder if "marinated" might be a good
      translation. Although that still doesn't explain the dough.

      > Gebackens 6. Braune runde Kuchen von eingebrenntem Teig/ wie vorhin
      vermeldt ist/ wie man den
      > Teig einmachen soll/ sonderlich zum braunen Gebacken.
      > --- Would dough be pickled or preserved?
      >
      > Turten 4. Nimm Vngerische Pflaumen grün oder dürr / thu die Kern
      herauß / so seindt sie zum
      > einmachen gut.
      > ---- It could be saying to preserve the filling for later use in a
      tart.

      Hi Ranvaig,

      I guess „einmachen" can mean different things in the recipes.
      "Ein weiß eyngemachten Aal saur" sounds like pickled eel.
      With „Ein braune Gallrat/ vnd blaw abgesotten Sälmling in die Gallrat
      eyngemacht/ auch mit vberzogen Mandeln vmblegt" I guess „Gallrat" ist
      he same word as modern German "Gallerte", so we are talking about
      fish in jelly.
      Or "Auch eyngemachte Sültzen oder Kudelfleck/ es sey gelb oder weiß"
      where the word "Sültze" is a clear indication we are talking about
      aspic. "Kuttelfleck" is a stew made from tripe, so I'm a bit puzzled
      about that in this context.

      With the meat or fruit that is "eingemacht" in pastry or dough, he is
      probably talking about some kind of pie or pasty where the meat is
      enclosed in the dough:
      "Hammel 38. Du kanst auch Schlegel warm in Pasteten einmachen."
      And
      "Turten 4. Nimm Vngerische Pflaumen grün oder dürr / thu die Kern
      herauß / so
      seindt sie zum einmachen gut."
      Normally I'd say it's a recommendation for making plum jam out of
      those plums but if we are talking about "Turten" (= "Torten" = tarts,
      I guess) it's probably some kind of plum pie or tart.

      With regards to "gescharbt", the Grimm dictionary says:
      " SCHARBEN,SCHÄRBEN, verb. concidere, minutare, ahd. scarpôn GRAFF
      6, 54, mhd. scharben, scherben, mnd. scharven, scherven SCHILLER -
      LÜBBEN 4, 53b, holländ. scherven; mit der scharbe schneiden: scharben
      oder schärben FRISCH 2, 162b; kräuter in der apothecke zur medicin
      oder zum kochen in der küche scharben ebenda; den kohl scharben,
      zotticht klein schneiden ebenda; petersilie, kohl u. s. f. werden in
      den küchen geschärbet. ADELUNG; in Meiszen, Schlesien, Voigtlande und
      andern örtern, da die rechten sauern kohlfresser wohnen, da scharbt
      oder stampft man ihn (den kohl) erstlich fein klein. COLERUS hausbuch
      3, 47; "

      So "scharben" meant to cut into small pieces. "Gescharbte Äpfel" are
      probably grated apples, which I can imagine being used in a sauce.
      And a "Gescharb" would be any kind of stuff cut into small pieces.

      Best regards,

      Christina
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic