1397[cooking_rumpolt] Re: Kalb 14 - boiled liver dumplings

    Mar 2, 2012
      Christina said:

      >"Gesell" here means more something like "fellow", "buddy", not "journeyman".
      >I'm not sure what the passage is supposed to
      >mean. Is he trying to describe "diligence" as a
      >person, meaning something like "be diligent, it
      >is a good quality to have"?

      Yes, Journeyman seems to be a modern meaning.
      ENHG says "Geselle" is companion
      Grimm says "Gesell" is someone you sleep with
      and "Geselle" is derived from "saal" or hall, I
      think the gist is someone that lives in the same
      household.

      other passages with "gesell". Perhaps journeyman
      isn't right, but I don't think "buddy" is either.
      für einen armen Gesellen/ vnd auch für grosse Herrn.
      for a poor fellow/ and also for a great lord.

      so ist es ein gute Suppen vor einen armen Gesellen.
      like this it is a good soup for a poor fellow.

      as well as several uses of "Gesellschafft" which I translated as "society"

      >"einschlahen" is very probably modern
      >"einschlagen". As with "einmachen", I suspect
      >that Rumpolt uses the word in a broader sense
      >than we would use it today.

      Rumpolt uses "einschlagen" in the narrow meaning
      of wrap or enclose, usually in dough. As does
      Welserin. The modern dictionary has enclose as
      one meaning.

      ENHG doesn't list einschlagen or einschlahen
      Grimm lists einschlahen as a form of einschlagen
      Grimm lists 26 meanings for einschlagen, one of
      them is to put something in a sack or barrel.

      Katherine said:

      >Zur Sprache glosses both the verbs schlagen and schlahen with the same
      >entry with the singular meaning of "schlachten" from Götze. - Wekcer " so
      >schlahe sie [die Erbsen] durch ein Seigephfann oder weiß tuch."

      "schlagen" = hit or beat, is different than
      "einschlagen" or "schlag ein" = wrap.

      >Oddly this would mean that Rumpolt has 2 kinds of spelling for the same
      >word. Perhaps - since we are seeing some other variances (?), Rumpolt had
      >a different scribe, typesetter, or perhaps different source they were
      >copying? Something to consider in a work of this size.

      Spelling isn't quite standardized yet, more than
      one spelling is pretty common. But I've seen
      signs that there was more than one typesetter.
      In particular, there are words that are spelled
      always one way in the menus, and always another
      in the rest of the book. And there also words
      that are spelled differently on a more or less
      random basis.

      Actually the two places that use einschlahen are
      both in the Kalb section, both seem to mean wrap.
      I'd call it an alternate spelling.

      Kalb 14. wann du die Lunge~ wilt einschlahen/ -
      when you want to wrap?? the lungs/

      Kalb 25. Ein Kälbern Nierenbraten einzuschlahen in einem RuckenTeig.