103Re: [cooking_rumpolt] German bread recipes

  • Johnna Holloway
    Sep 7, 2007
      There's a Bread Museum at Ulm.
      http://www.brotmuseum-ulm.de/museumen/index.html
      Someone might write and ask if they know of any pre 1700 recipes for
      breads. I suspect they may been first published in the 18th century myself.
      That's just a guess though.

      Johnnae

      Huette von Ahrens wrote:

      > snipped
      > As for period German bread recipes, I don't know of any, but there are
      > so many period German
      > cookbooks that haven't been translated yet, that I can't say that
      > there are none. However,
      > medieval Germany had a Baker's Guild that was very strong and it is
      > possible that all the old
      > recipes were never written down, but passed on from generation to
      > generation by word of mouth and
      > by teaching.
      >
      > Huette
      >
      > --- ranvaig@... <mailto:ranvaig%40columbus.rr.com> wrote:
      >
      > > Are there any German period bread recipes? I'd like both a white
      > bread and a rye bread.
      > >
      > > Ranvaig
      >

      > .

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic