Re: [cookietinbanjo] Violin Pegs

  • bob salmon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
      I'm just finishing a short scale 5 string banjo and am using fiddle pegs, I cut mine some what shorter than they come, find a drill the same size as the small end of the peg, and drill the peghead. I the take a tapered sanding roll and sand out the hole till they fit snug, you want them a snug fit. They work well and don't slip as easy as those economy banjo(uke) pegs do. I even used one for the 5th string, cut quite a bit shorter, then drilled into the neck about 3/4 of an inch. I made my son a baby 5 string about twenty years ago, used tiny fiddle pegs, and she's still goin'strong.

      boundsteelblues <SBHCESSNA@...> wrote:
      I got some 4/4 violin pegs to use as tuners. Any helpful hints are
      using these? First time I've tried them, but I saw some Jeffery
      Menzies gourd banjos with them and thought I've give it a shot.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Patrick Woolery
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
        Dave, I have only made the one rebec, so far. It is
        not one piece. Well, it sort of is. I was shocked by
        the price of a thick enough chunk of good hardwood
        (and not willing to wait for a fresh-cut bit of tree
        to cure), so I made it another way. But the entire
        body and neck came from one board.

        I started by drawing the basic shape of a rebec from
        the top on a birch board 5.5" wide and 24" long. 1x6,
        it is sold as. Then, I estimated in about 1/2" and
        drew an oval in the bowl area. And did it again. And
        a third time. Then, each of these interior ovals got
        cut out with a scroll saw set at 30 degrees. The
        angle meant that I could either nest the parts, if
        stacked from the top, or build up a hollow bowl if
        stacked from the bottom. I have seen planters and
        even a menorah made with this method. I wish I could
        have found some contrasting veneer to glue in between
        the layers. Then the stacked cosntruction would be a
        decorative feature instead of a cheesy set of lines
        crossing the bowl.

        I cut the head at an angle and glued the offcut onto
        the back to create a slanted flat head. The three
        homemade violin pegs went into the head.

        With a bit of finishing, the interior formed a nice
        bowl. The outside was finished with a belt sander,
        then hand sanding.

        Soundboard was made from a quarter-sawn scrap of cedar
        siding that was going to be thrown away when the new
        building addition was finished at church.

        I strung it with fishline and I like it fine. I left
        the soundboard too thick and I'm not up to removing
        the fingerboard to get at the soundboard and thin it
        down. I'll remember that for the next one. Which
        will be carved from one piece.

        It was not a really hard project, but it took time and
        careful cutting. I can send you a picture if you
        like. Give me time to fill the disk (I have a camera
        that records on floppy disks) and then shrink it to a
        sendable size. Or you can wait until I finish writing
        an article about building it and post pictures online.
        My wife does all the html in the family and I have to
        wait for her to have time to convert a text article
        into a form that can go on the web.

        -Patrick

        --- Dave Brown <quahog@...> wrote:

        > Patrick,
        >
        > Are your rebec's all one piece? or are the bowl and
        > the neck formed separately?
        >
        > Dave Brown
        > Green Bay, WI
        >
        > At 12:01 AM 7/31/2006, you wrote:
        >
        > >I use tapered pegs for a historical look on lyres
        > (not
        > >cookie tins) and my rebec (also not made from
        > cookie
        > >tins).

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dave Brown
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
          Nice description.

          You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the one you made, would you?

          The reason I asked is ...

          Well, I'd never heard or seen a rebec until you mentioned one. Then
          I looked it up on the net. That was enough to interest me. I've
          made a couple of banjos using wood salad bowls for the body. One
          salad bowl I have, and it's a bit small for a banjo, is one of those
          pineapple shaped ones. The bowl is about 10" long and 6" wide and
          seems a good candidate for a rebec (see
          http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/rebec.html for a pretty good rebec
          building tutorial) You've got me thinking .....

          Dave Brown
          see
          http://launch.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/cookietinbanjo/photos/browse/7270
          to see an example of what can be done with a wood salad bowl, some
          scraps of wood, 4 cello pegs and one violin peg.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
            Give me a few days and I will try to get an article
            online about how I made the silly thing. Paul
            Butler's page is what inspired me, too. Because of
            his page, I made a point of taking pictures of every
            major step I did, with the idea of posting a how-to
            (or at least a how-I-did-it) article.

            A pineapple-shaped fiddle would be so cool. Do it!
            Don't worry if it isn't really a rebec, just make it
            into an instrument and show me pictures! Wow, now I
            want a pineapple bowl for a fiddle body! Sometimes I
            pity my wife, the rest of the time I am grateful for
            her tolerance.

            -Patrick

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2007
              Patrick,

              Have you gotten started on your Rebec? reason I'm asking is that I've
              come across another of those pineapple shaped bowls ... paid one whole
              dollar for it. If you're interested in trying one then contact me off
              list and I'll send it to you. I still have the one I first mentione
              in this thread, so sharing one out is OK with me.

              Ledt me know.

              Dave Brown

              --- In cookietinbanjo@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Woolery
              <patrick_woolery@...> wrote:
              > <snip>
              > A pineapple-shaped fiddle would be so cool. Do it!
              > Don't worry if it isn't really a rebec, just make it
              > into an instrument and show me pictures! Wow, now I
              > want a pineapple bowl for a fiddle body! Sometimes I
              > pity my wife, the rest of the time I am grateful for
              > her tolerance.
              >
              > -Patrick
              >
              > --- Dave Brown <quahog@...> wrote:
              > <snip>
              >> One
              > > salad bowl I have, and it's a bit small for a banjo,
              > > is one of those
              > > pineapple shaped bowls. The bowl is about 10" long
              > > and 6" wide and
              > > seems a good candidate for a rebec (see
              > > http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/rebec.html for a
              > > pretty good rebec
              > > building tutorial) You've got me thinking .....
              > >
              > > Dave Brown
            • Patrick Woolery
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2007
                Yes, actually, it is done.  Sorry I forgot to post a link to the article here.  Pictures and writeup are available at this site:

                I don't think I want to tackle another rebec right now, but a pineapple shaped one would be very tempting.  Let me think about it for a couple of days before I say whether I want the bowl.  I have a bunch of other projects that need to get finished, but the temptation is there!  I have a tenor banjo that needs a new skin head, an autoharp that I want to put new felts on and totally redo the chord layout, a travel guitar I have to finish building, and a couple of cookie tin mandolins I still haven't finished.  So, I don't know if it would be good to take on another project while these are still languishing.

                -Patrick

                <patrick_woolery@ ...> wrote:
                > <snip>
                > A pineapple-shaped fiddle would be so cool. Do it!
                > Don't worry if it isn't really a rebec, just make it
                > into an instrument and show me pictures! Wow, now I
                > want a pineapple bowl for a fiddle body! Sometimes I
                > pity my wife, the rest of the time I am grateful for
                > her tolerance.
                >
                > -Patrick
                >
                > --- Dave Brown <quahog@...> wrote:
                > <snip>
                >> One
                > > salad bowl I have, and it's a bit small for a banjo,
                > > is one of those
                > > pineapple shaped bowls. The bowl is about 10" long
                > > and 6" wide and
                > > seems a good candidate for a rebec (see
                > > http://crab. rutgers.edu/ ~pbutler/ rebec.html for a
                > > pretty good rebec
                > > building tutorial) You've got me thinking .....
                > >
                > > Dave Brown

                Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.