MKS-80 Profile anyone?

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
      Hi - just got a MKS80 and very desperate to my Control Freak stuck
      into it. Anyone have or know where I can get a profile? The Kenton
      site does not feature one in there download area.

      Any suggestions will be very appreciated..

      Thanks

      Paul
    • punkdISCO
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
        "Oh, get off your arse and make your own! It only takes a few minutes!"

        Thanks for the email Nik. If it only took a few minutes I would not ask. I written several SYSEx only profiles for other synths with a similar number of editable parameters and from memory, they took several hours even using the CF software.

        If anyone else has any suggestions I am still looking.

        thx

        Paul
        London
        www.punkdisco.co.uk

      • Bernie Maier
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2004
          --- In control_freak@yahoogroups.com, "punkdISCO" <forums@p...> wrote:
          > If it only took a few minutes I would not ask. I written several
          > SYSEx only profiles for other synths with a similar number of
          > editable parameters and from memory, they took several hours
          > even using the CF software.

          Yep - I've actually made up an MKS-80 profile, and it took me several
          hours. There are a LOT of parameters, and I had to divide them over
          3 pages, so you have to decide how to sensibly group things.

          Also, I can't upload the profile since I'm writing this email here
          at work, so I'll have to remember when I get home. (Which means
          I have to actually get them off the CF in the first place, which
          means firing up the old slow computer because none of the CF
          software I have works correctly on fast computers - i think they
          send the MIDI data too fast for the CF to keep up.

          Cheers,

          Bernie
        • punkdisco
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 2004
            Hi Bernie

            If you get around to uploading/sending the MKS80 profile, I might actually ask
            you to marry me! It will be VERY appreciated!

            Not surprised to hear how long it took you to make (I have done a few sysex
            ones). I did not think the reply from the previous person was a) very
            accurate, or b) very useful.

            Yours hopefully,

            --
            Paul
            London
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 21, 2004
              --- In control_freak@yahoogroups.com, punkdisco <forums@p...> wrote:

              > If you get around to uploading/sending the MKS80 profile, I might
              > actually ask you to marry me! It will be VERY appreciated!

              Well, I'm already married, but never mind because I've uploaded
              a zip file with my MKS-80 profiles and some documentation for them.
              Look at:

              http://blurk.net/blurk/ControlFreak-MKS-80.html

              The main tricky thing is likely to be that I've set my MKS-80 up
              on MIDI channel 14, and so all the sysex data may very well reflect
              that.

              Hope it helps.

              Oh, I've also sent this along to Kenton to add to their collection of
              profiles.

              Cheers,

              Bernie
            • punkdisco
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 22, 2004
                "Well, I'm already married, but never mind because I've uploaded a zip file
                with my MKS-80 profiles and some documentation for them."

                Sorry to hear you are married, having said that, its probably a relief to my
                wife that I won't be leaving her after all..

                Really big thanks for this - I will give it a play tonight when I get home.

                "The main tricky thing is likely to be that I've set my MKS-80 up on MIDI
                channel 14, and so all the sysex data may very well reflect"

                I don't think this will effect things as I don't think sysex carries that
                info. Either way, its going to be a great start.

                thanks again..

                --
                Paul
                London
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 28, 2004
                  Hi Bernie

                  Thank you very much for the profile. I finally go around to setting
                  it up last week. Spent 2 evenings cursing because I had my Cubase
                  sysex thr filter turned on - doh!

                  It really is an excellent profile and I was surprised to see you then
                  took the time to document it as well!!

                  As you stated it only works on Channel 14 but have changed this to be
                  the global control freak channel.

                  Its funny but the MKS80 MIDI spec seems far more mature and stable
                  then the newer MKS70 which is a little flaky. In particular, I love
                  the way the MKS80 displays the particular control that is being
                  modified from the Control Freak, also giving you the current value..

                  Anyway, I really appreciate this so, once again, thank you..

                  Paul