RE: [contrarianlibrarian] Alternative jobs for an MLS

  • Thomas Roche
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2004
      --- "Wilson, Bruce" <brucewilson@...>
      wrote:
      > Have you looked into some other form of
      > librarianship, such as Academic or Special?
      >
      > What about becoming an Information Broker?

      Remind us what this is.

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • laurieshaina
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
        ---
        I feel much the same way,,,I have been in public libraries now about
        16 years and its one dysfunctional place after another...even had a
        director nicknamed "Hitler Harry", had another one who was found
        guilty of 25 counts of sexual harassment and 30 people testified
        against her and still they didn't fire her even though she was found
        guilty....what else to do??? Information broker sounds good but you
        have to start your own business that takes awhile financially. What
        is the one thing you truly loved about being a librarian? Maybe you
        should start there. Like for example, genealogy. Special libraries
        are interesting and pay better. But jobs are not that plentiful. Law
        libraries pay better too but I haven't seen that many openings. How
        about a corporation?

        In contrarianlibrarian@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"
        <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
        > Have you looked into some other form of librarianship, such as
        Academic or Special?

        > What about becoming an Information Broker?

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129mda02i/M=285832.4982638.6115487.1269404/D=
        groups/S=1705000236:HM/EXP=1085706917/A=2142721/R=0/SIG=14di1pg12/*htt
        p://www.householdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?
        cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt=000&mc=01PSYAYA004001B220000U0300L0020000000
        000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click here
        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=285832.4982638.6115487.1269404/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2142721/rand=1681090
        54>

        > _____
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        subject=Unsubscribe>

      • Wilson, Bruce
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
          An information broker does research on contract for people who haven't
          the time or skills to do it for themselves.

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129as3m39/M=285832.4915498.6053011.1269404/D=gr
          oups/S=1705000236:HM/EXP=1086284293/A=2142721/R=0/SIG=14di1pg12/*http://
          www.householdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt=00
          0&mc=01PSYAYA004001B220000U0300L0020000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.4915498.6053011.1269404/D=group
          s/S=:HM/A=2142721/rand=973678061>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ibe>

        • Thomas Roche
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- "Wilson, Bruce" <brucewilson@...>
            wrote:
            > An information broker does research on contract for
            > people who haven't
            > the time or skills to do it for themselves.

            These folks work for firms, or by themselves? How do
            they get these contracts? Also, do they merely
            collate research data, or do they also write position
            papers based on that data?

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • Judy A
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2004
              Can't most of this, but some of them do research for authors of fiction such
              as historical fiction.

              Judy Anderson
              Tillamook, OR
              Visible and Vocal Librarian
              www.cafeshops.com/vavlibrarian

              >From: Thomas Roche <tertullianus_2000@...>
              >To: contrarianlibrarian@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: RE: [contrarianlibrarian] Alternative jobs for an MLS
              >Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
              >

              >--- "Wilson, Bruce" <brucewilson@...>
              >wrote:
              > > An information broker does research on contract for
              > > people who haven't
              > > the time or skills to do it for themselves.
              > >
              >These folks work for firms, or by themselves? How do
              >they get these contracts? Also, do they merely
              >collate research data, or do they also write position
              >papers based on that data?

              >Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
              >http://messenger.yahoo.com/

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              a trip to NY
            • Wilson, Bruce
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 4, 2004
                The answer to all of these is 'yes.' (Except for 'how do they get these
                contacts' to which I would say that I haven't the slightest idea;
                however, I do know that some people do very well at this.)

                Try http://www.aiip.org/index.html
                or
                http://dir.yahoo.com/business_and_economy/business_to_business/informati
                on/information_brokers/

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1295jicrj/M=285832.4915498.6053011.1269404/D=gr
                oups/S=1705000236:HM/EXP=1086386558/A=2142721/R=0/SIG=14di1pg12/*http://
                www.householdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt=00
                0&mc=01PSYAYA004001B220000U0300L0020000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click here

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.4915498.6053011.1269404/D=group
                s/S=:HM/A=2142721/rand=189161486>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                ibe>

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 12, 2004
                  I used my Libarian background to leave ther public library world and
                  become the marketing communications director of a dot.com. I not
                  only did the usual research (MLS trained and all), I also had some
                  experience creating presentations, dealing with bvndors and
                  contracts, etc.

                  I hated the job (the place was run by incompetent boos who
                  were "playing" at business) and I was laid off after 2 years. But,
                  it did get me out if public libary hell, raised my salary and
                  enabled to enter the corporate library world.

                  One side note: I was so programmed into expecting nothing for my
                  work, when they asked me for my salary requirements, I brazenly said
                  $55K (which was almost twice what I was making at NYPL afer 7
                  years). Little did I know that my peers a tthe company all made
                  $125,000!! We are so trained to be underpaid! ARGH!

                  --Dan
                • Thomas Roche
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 13, 2004
                    1)How'd you get the first job?

                    2)were you able to trade up once laid off?

                    --- Dan <ska_librarian@...> wrote:
                    > I used my Libarian background to leave ther public
                    > library world and
                    > become the marketing communications director of a
                    > dot.com. I not
                    > only did the usual research (MLS trained and all), I
                    > also had some
                    > experience creating presentations, dealing with
                    > bvndors and
                    > contracts, etc.
                    >
                    > I hated the job (the place was run by incompetent
                    > boos who
                    > were "playing" at business) and I was laid off after
                    > 2 years. But,
                    > it did get me out if public libary hell, raised my
                    > salary and
                    > enabled to enter the corporate library world.
                    >
                    > One side note: I was so programmed into expecting
                    > nothing for my
                    > work, when they asked me for my salary requirements,
                    > I brazenly said
                    > $55K (which was almost twice what I was making at
                    > NYPL afer 7
                    > years). Little did I know that my peers a tthe
                    > company all made
                    > $125,000!! We are so trained to be underpaid! ARGH!
                    >
                    > --Dan

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 14, 2004
                      --- In contrarianlibrarian@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Roche
                      <tertullianus_2000@y...> wrote:
                      > 1)How'd you get the first job?

                      I could say "connections", but it was really me bugging all my non-
                      libary pals for anyhting their workplaces might offer. It was the
                      time of the dot.com boom, so made-up jobs were plentiful. :)

                      > 2)were you able to trade up once laid off?

                      Yes. I got a job as a corporate librarian in an insurance company,
                      since the dot.com worked in that industry and they saw my marketign
                      experience as a plus. I think they read it as "this guy is not your
                      typical shy libarian stereotype we think about, but he'll be really
                      proactive about marketing his services." Not that I wouldn't be
                      anyway, but in their monds it was a plus.

                      -Dan
                    • laurieshaina@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                        I am intrigued by the dot com experience, did they actually have a library or
                        was it strictly marketing?

                        Also lately I have seen ads for librarian liasons, public relations, unless
                        you are done with libraries, just a thought

                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 20, 2004
                          --- In contrarianlibrarian@yahoogroups.com, laurieshaina@a... wrote:
                          > I am intrigued by the dot com experience, did they actually have a
                          library or
                          > was it strictly marketing?

                          Technically, it was just marketing, but I used the librarian skills
                          all time. I got us licenses for Lexis-Nexis, I put together news
                          packets in the industry and competitors, I did backgorund checks on
                          possible merger and VC sources.

                          This was all in addition to writing all the marketing marterial,
                          press releases, overseeing projects, running the trade shows, etc.

                          I do have to say it was a horrendous experience. I learned a lot,
                          but I remember having to defend every piece of research I did, even
                          it proved to save the company time and money. The bosses were even
                          worse than many library directors.
                        • laurieshaina@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 21, 2004
                            Every experience just makes you stronger and wiser. Just think about the
                            incredible skills you must have honed in that job-skills you probably wouldn't
                            have learned anywhere else. Sometimes we measure the negatives with the positives
                            and when the negatives outweigh the positives it obliterates what was unique
                            and incredible. Time will allow you to set aside the anger and hurt and
                            eventually you will grow from the experience and you will see it coming the next
                            time and side step those kind of problems and choose a better situation. Its
                            when you keep repeating the same mistake over and over that we feel dumb. It
                            sounds as though you have risen above it....I applaud you.

                          • Thomas Roche
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 21, 2004
                              --- Dan <ska_librarian@...> wrote:
                              > --- In contrarianlibrarian@yahoogroups.com,
                              > laurieshaina@a... wrote:
                              > > I am intrigued by the dot com experience, did they
                              > actually have a
                              > library or
                              > > was it strictly marketing?
                              > >

                              > Technically, it was just marketing, but I used the
                              > librarian skills
                              > all time. I got us licenses for Lexis-Nexis, I put
                              > together news
                              > packets in the industry and competitors, I did
                              > backgorund checks on
                              > possible merger and VC sources.
                              >
                              > This was all in addition to writing all the
                              > marketing marterial,
                              > press releases, overseeing projects, running the
                              > trade shows, etc.
                              >

                              > I do have to say it was a horrendous experience. I
                              > learned a lot,
                              > but I remember having to defend every piece of
                              > research I did, even
                              > it proved to save the company time and money. The
                              > bosses were even
                              > worse than many library directors.

                              Do you regret taking this job, then, or do you think
                              that on balance it was a good career move?
                            • Dan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 22, 2004

                                > Do you regret taking this job, then, or do you think
                                > that on balance it was a good career move?

                                Well, for all the hell it was, it made the resume sparkle in the
                                eyes of the misguided HR types. So, yes, it was worth it.