Reorganization. Boston Public Library.

  • Don Saklad
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      BPL Chief Operating Officer and Chief of Staff Ruth Kowal relayed that
      President Bernie Margolis extends the offer of a personal walk through
      of the reorganization plan.

      I'm very grateful for the opportunity offered.

      1. Please arrange for me to read information about the reorganization
      including consultants' studies and consultants' reports whether outside
      consultants or in house consulting BPLers/curators .

      2. Do reply on the mark to comment, suggestions and questions.

      It's easier to use our library more effectively with more available
      information and a subsequent understanding about how the lib works behind the
      scenes backstage so to speak.

      Memoranda, committee minutes, committee reports, curatorial reports and
      related materials would give a better idea of the reorganization so that when
      meeting Bernie Margolis I would not be at a disadvantage for lack of
      information. How to interpret the information would be a more useful use of
      the encounter. Is there any truth to the rumors of neutralizing people who
      request information as a counter tactic?... that would be an attempt to
      deflect intellectual curiosity. Make available the information. Communicate
      the information in a sequence that would allow more thoughtful responses from
      people concerned, interested or affected by the information.

      For example, set up a web link at http://www.bpl.org with a forum for
      BPLusers/clientele to submit their comment, suggestions and questions.
      It could be a forum where we would also exchange ideas among one another
      including ideas and responses from interested, concerned or affected BPLers.

      Here are a couple considerations to include in the reorganization...

      a. Customer service techniques, continuing training, continuing supervision.

      b. Communications using BPLusers/clientele feedback

      I remain, as always, advocating for institutional change and for improving
      the organizational culture of our North American cities' public libraries!

      Cheers! and kind regards,
      oo__ Don Saklad

      Don Warner Saklad
      dsaklad@...

      10/2003 draft chart
      Reorganization Plan. Boston Public Library.

      Boston Public Library
      Reorganization Plan
      Draft 10/2003

      Trustees

      President

      Human Resources Director
      Chief Technology Officer

      Chief Operating Officer and Chief of Staff
      Chief of Public Services
      Chief Financial Officer

      Chief Operating Officer and Chief of Staff

      Collection Development Manager
      Technical Services Manager
      Program Services Manager
      Services to Libraries
      Heritage Center Project
      Administrative Services/Policy and Procedure

      Chief of Public Services

      Central Library Services Manager
      Neighborhood Services Manager

      Community Services Manager