Re: Updated Approved Altimeter List

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2012
      Okay, no problem. Didn't know rule 14.10.

      My original plan was to fly the Stratologger for dual deployment and the Adept A1 for the official altitude. Already have the payload bay built for both. So that's what I'll do. After June 1, I can just fly the Stratologger by itself.

      --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, "ncbj3rq" <nar.contest.board@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Hi Dan,
      >
      > > Why the wait to June 1st?
      > 14.10 Electronic Altimeters:
      > ... Only commercially available altimeters approved by the NAR Contest Board and publicly announced as approved at least 60 days before any contest where they are used may be used in competition.
      >
      > > So, if I want to use one of the new ones, sooner, I just need
      > > to get my contest director to request use under the "novel method"
      > > clause? Does that have to be done when applying for the sanction
      >
      > Preferably, but if the sanction has already been filed then the CD should send a followup to the regional chair. I didn't state this but one goal is to make sure all attendees know that the CD is accepting (via CB approval) use of new altimeters at the meet. The other goal is to keep the CB informed of use ... and results of that use ... during the interim period. We're not likely to suddenly disapprove based on problems found during the interim period, but we want to keep an eye on things.
      >
      > Steve Humphrey
      >
      > --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Steve,
      > >
      > > This is great news. Really happy to see this.
      > >
      > > Couple of questions...
      > >
      > > Why the wait to June 1st? There's lots of contests between now and then.
      > >
      > > So, if I want to use one of the new ones, sooner, I just need to get my contest director to request use under the "novel method" clause? Does that have to be done when applying for the sanction (too late for that), or up to the day of the contest or what? Can the CD just send it in with the contest results?
      > >
      > > The PB just says "The NAR Contest Board must approve novel altitude determination methods before the results are accepted for competition." In this case, it sounds like the CB has already done that.
      > >
      > > Regards, Dan
      > >

      > > --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, "ncbj3rq" <nar.contest.board@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The list of approved altimeters has been updated.
      > > > http://tinyurl.com/78qrdfa
      > > >
      > > > Altimeters added:
      > > > Adept: ALTIM1, ALTS2, ALTS2-50K
      > > > Featherweight: Raven2
      > > > Jolly Logic: AltimeterTwo
      > > > PerfectFlite: pNut, ARPA, Stratologger
      > > > Winged Shadow: HowHigh RT
      > > > These altimeters become approved for use beginning June 1, 2012.
      > > > In the interim a CD can request use under the "novel method"
      > > > rule. Requests should go through the regional chair.
      > > >
      > > > Altimeters dropped:
      > > > Transolve: P7 (resolution > 2m)
      > > > picoAlt: LO4 ver1 ("zero" cannot be verified visually,
      > > > requires computer connection)
      > > > picoAlt: P1 ("zero" cannot be verified)
      > > > These altimeters lose approval immediately. Anyone who had been
      > > > planning on using one of these altimeters in a contest should contact
      > > > me.
      > > >
      > > > The updated Pink Book Appendix G is posted in the files section, and
      > > > will be updated in the official Pink Book on June 1.

    • azsvs
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2012
        --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, "ncbj3rq" <nar.contest.board@...> wrote:

        > The list of approved altimeters has been updated.
        > http://tinyurl.com/78qrdfa
        >
        > Altimeters added:
        > Adept: ALTIM1, ALTS2, ALTS2-50K
        > Featherweight: Raven2
        > Jolly Logic: AltimeterTwo
        > PerfectFlite: pNut, ARPA, Stratologger
        > Winged Shadow: HowHigh RT
        > These altimeters become approved for use beginning June 1, 2012.
        > In the interim a CD can request use under the "novel method"
        > rule. Requests should go through the regional chair.
        >
        > Altimeters dropped:
        > Transolve: P7 (resolution > 2m)
        > picoAlt: LO4 ver1 ("zero" cannot be verified visually,
        > requires computer connection)
        > picoAlt: P1 ("zero" cannot be verified)
        > These altimeters lose approval immediately. Anyone who had been
        > planning on using one of these altimeters in a contest should contact
        > me.
        >
        > The updated Pink Book Appendix G is posted in the files section, and
        > will be updated in the official Pink Book on June 1.
        > http://tinyurl.com/78qrdfa
        >
        > Steve Humphrey
        > NAR National Contest Board Chairman

        Good to see progress, Steve. Thank you!