Re: [contestRoc] It was nice to see...

  • jdblanchard93@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2011
      13 inches

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Blake Goddard <fox_granit@...>
      Sender: contestRoc@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:50:15
      To: contestRoc@yahoogroups.com<contestRoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [contestRoc] It was nice to see...

      Well Bob since Dave is my teammate I can tell you we have a new very advanced design for our dual egg lofter. Its almost 13 inches long with 7/64 air-foiled fins. With a 24mm mount on a d12-3 we had it up for 132 seconds. That was our backup model. With our lighter model we had a cracked egg but it was up even longer.... Were doing one with an 18mm mount to use with a d21-4 or a d10. We've go some other things up our sleeves. Once I can start getting some more income, we'll have some great stuff to be showing off at some of the national events. Can't wait to display some of our sport / scale rockets.

      Blake
      Colonel of the Flying Monkeys

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 3, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Bob Kaplow <bobkaplow@...> wrote:

      > --- On Mon, 1/3/11, California Dave <glideroc46@...> wrote:
      > |It was nice to see Bob Kaplow flying one of my egglofter kits in the |latest Sport Rocketry. I sold him a couple about 14 years ago and those |were good designs.
      >
      > Glad you liked it! I originally built the model for NARAM-39 back in Tucson, where it was the highest tracked model in the event. Unfortunately out in the desert, the asphalt runway was the SOFTEST place to land, and I cracked one of the eggs. Altitude was just over 700 meters.
      >
      > This summer my B-division daughter built the remaining kit, so we both flew them. And we both suffered the same result of one broken egg. I think the problem was that the small ridge that holds the plate between the eggs just isn't secure enough. Don't know if they broke under E15 acceleration or under similar hard surface desert landings. I don't recall the altitudes, and the posted results just show "EGG".
      >
      > I'd love to see your latest design. Other than the ring, the old design was fatter and heavier than what I wanted. Some day I'll have to track down the molds for the capsule I set my old E DEL record with back in 1976; or clone a mold form the surviving parts.

    • Bob Kaplow
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2011
        --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Blake Goddard <fox_granit@...> wrote:
        >>>Well Bob since Dave is my teammate I can tell you we have a new very advanced design for our dual egg lofter. Its almost 13 inches long with 7/64 air-foiled fins. With a 24mm mount on a d12-3 we had it up for 132 seconds. That was our backup model. With our lighter model we had a cracked egg but it was up even longer.... Were doing one with an 18mm mount to use with a d21-4 or a d10. We've go some other things up our sleeves. Once I can start getting some more income, we'll have some great stuff to be showing off at some of the national events. Can't wait to display some of our sport / scale rockets. <<<

        I'd love to see photos of the new design. Alas durations don't tell me much about the model, just what kind of air you put it in. When you get over 1800 seconds, I'm interested.

        I found out from the CD that my egglofter was tracked to 727m. Not bad for an fat overweight design. Still don't know what my daughter got with the other one.
      • rdwoebke
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2011
          --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Bob Kaplow <bobkaplow@...> wrote:

          > When you get over 1800 seconds, I'm interested.

          30 minute flights don't tell you anything about the aero and don't tell you a lot about the quality of the recovery system. They do tell a lot about the clarity of the sky, the organization of the lift, the quality of the watch opperators, and the large scale weather system. :)

          Flying flights at dawn or maybe dusk on a day that didn't have a big weather system probably tells a lot more about the quality of the recovery system and maybe some about the aero.

          Ryan
        • California Dave
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2011
            --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Bob Kaplow <bobkaplow@...> wrote:

            > I'd love to see photos of the new design. Alas durations don't tell me much about the model, just what kind of air you put it in. When you get over 1800 seconds, I'm interested.
            >
            > I found out from the CD that my egglofter was tracked to 727m. Not bad for an fat overweight design. Still don't know what my daughter got with the other one.

            We'll find som photos and post them. As far as fat, I think the design we now have is a bit too narrow at 1 7/8". Some eggs just don't fit. The field was the Kansas State fair parking lot. Though hot the thermals were not exactly "booming". For 1800 seconds (two eggs and an Estes D12-30 you'd need doublely booming thermals. We'll see.

            Dave
          • Steve Foster
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 7, 2011
              The 1800 seconds refers to the NARAM-41 flight Bob had back in 1999 - Hey Bob!
              There was another UFO sighting posted recently here in the Pittsburgh area, do
              you think it might still be hanging around?

              Steve

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 7, 2011
                --- On Fri, 1/7/11, Steve Foster <steve72814@...> wrote:
                |The 1800 seconds refers to the NARAM-41 flight Bob had back in 1999 -

                And the similar flight the following year in CO. And the previous flight at a Michigan regional a decade earlier.

                The CO flight was returned for a record, the others are probably still up there somewhere.

                |Hey Bob!
                |There was another UFO sighting posted recently here in the Pittsburgh area, do
                |you think it might still be hanging around?

                I can neither confirm nor deny...
              • Bob Kaplow
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 7, 2011
                  --- On Fri, 1/7/11, California Dave <glideroc46@...> wrote:
                  |As far as fat, I think the design we now have is a bit too narrow at 1 |7/8". Some eggs just don't fit.

                  This is good. If any egg fits, your model is too big! Since you can pick your egg, you want to pick one that is skinny and at the light end of the range. You certainly don't want to end up with a fat overweight egg.
                • California Dave
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
                    --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Bob Kaplow <bobkaplow@...> wrote:

                    > --- On Fri, 1/7/11, California Dave <glideroc46@...> wrote:
                    > |As far as fat, I think the design we now have is a bit too narrow at 1 |7/8". Some eggs just don't fit.
                    >
                    > This is good. If any egg fits, your model is too big! Since you can pick your egg, you want to pick one that is skinny and at the light end of the range. You certainly don't want to end up with a fat overweight egg.

                    Thats how it works! I think if we'd had a good second flight before "the results are in" (we DID eventually find the second flight) we'd have had at least a 270 second result. This is an excelllent number for T D DEL anyway you look at it especially for D12-3 motors.

                    Oh, and by the way, I prepped two identical but different models for the 24mm flights with egg crates from the 18mm models ( they are interchangable) I had a hard time finding ANY eggs to fit. Four eggs, all quite tight. Ive had problems in the past trying to extract tight eggs that I inadverntly broke with my fingers. So...I libate (or is that annoint?) liberally with olive oil before shooting those babies off!!!

                    Dave