Re: [contestRoc] Modroc apps for 'Droid?

  • Ez2cDave@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31 7:37 AM
      Bob,

      You might contact Tim Van Milligan to see if Apogee has any plans for a Droid-version of Rocksim . . .

      Dave Fitch

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 31 1:13 PM
        Is there anything good for the iphone?

        Dwight

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Dec 31, 2010, at 9:37 AM, Ez2cDave@... wrote:

        > Bob,
        >
        > You might contact Tim Van Milligan to see if Apogee has any plans for a Droid-version of Rocksim . . .
        >
        > Dave Fitch

      • Chan Stevens
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 31 3:10 PM
          On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:37 AM, <Ez2cDave@...> wrote:

          > Bob,
          >
          > You might contact Tim Van Milligan to see if Apogee has any plans for a
          > Droid-version of Rocksim . . .
          >
          > Dave Fitch

        • Blake Goddard
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 31 7:19 PM
            I've had an iPhone for the last four years an nothing of rocketry interest has been created at this point.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 31 7:20 PM
              I take that back I see something from mad cow rocketry on there

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Dec 31, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Dwight Brown <freepistol@...> wrote:

              > Is there anything good for the iphone?
              >
              > Dwight
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Dec 31, 2010, at 9:37 AM, Ez2cDave@... wrote:
              >
              > > Bob,
              > >
              > > You might contact Tim Van Milligan to see if Apogee has any plans for a Droid-version of Rocksim . . .
              > >
              > > Dave Fitch

            • rdwoebke
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 31 10:38 PM
                --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Dwight Brown <freepistol@...> wrote:

                > Is there anything good for the iphone?
                >
                > Dwight

                There is an altitude reduction app out there.

                Ryan
              • rdwoebke
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 1, 2011
                  --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Gnomad <gnomad@...> wrote:

                  > The use of these tools "in the field" is somewhat dubious,

                  Oh, I don't know about that. I can think of tons of useful apps. Pink Book app. This would be an app where a CD or an RSO could do quick searches or quickly look at the rules. Certified motor app. Safety code app. Obviously a lot of these things could be just viewed on the website in a browser but for devices that are not cellularly connected to the internet (say an iTouch) an offline app would be super handy.

                  Ryan
                • Whitney Richard
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 1, 2011
                    There is an iPhone ap out there. But it was reported to have limitations on motor selection so I never bothered to buy it.

                    Whitney Richard

                    There is an altitude reduction app out there.

                    Ryan

                  • Bob Kaplow
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 1, 2011
                      --- On Sat, 1/1/11, rdwoebke <rdwoebke@...> wrote:
                      |Oh, I don't know about that. I can think of tons of useful apps. Pink
                      |Book app. This would be an app where a CD or an RSO could do quick
                      |searches or quickly look at the rules. Certified motor app. Safety code
                      |app.

                      I routinely download various documents to my PDA, including the Safety Code, Pink Book, and motor lists.

                      The APP is either a PDA reader, or just a simple notepad text app. I don't consider any of these apps themselves, any more than all the other things I store in the PDA like flight logs, lists of who is in what room at NARAM, or BMWQF winners.
                    • Ez2cDave@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 1, 2011
                        Ryan,

                        That sounds very interesting . . . I wonder if we have someone in the NAR who could write programs like that?

                        Maybe Contest Manager running in "real time", too.

                        Dave Fitch

                        *************************************

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 1, 2011
                          --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Bob Kaplow <bobkaplow@...> wrote:

                          > > I routinely download various documents to my PDA, including the Safety Code, Pink Book, and motor lists.

                          That would work too, but a simple app would probably do a better job of handling the screen size and a better job of having an interface setup for the platform.

                          --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Ez2cDave@... wrote:

                          > That sounds very interesting . . . I wonder if we have someone in the NAR who could write programs like that?

                          Sounds like we just gave somebody a good R&D project idea...

                          > Maybe Contest Manager running in "real time", too.

                          There you go, another good R&D project idea.

                          Ryan
                        • Ez2cDave@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
                            Ryan,

                            Now, all we need is someone who know how to write those programs. I can only think of one person, offhand, who probably could, but I don't want to be accused of "volunteering" anyone. Let's just say that he already has extensive experience with contest rocketry-related computer operations.

                            Dave Fitch

                            -- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Ez2cDave@... wrote:

                            > That sounds very interesting . . . I wonder if we have someone in the NAR who could write programs like that?

                            Ryan - Sounds like we just gave somebody a good R&D project idea...

                            > Maybe Contest Manager running in "real time", too.

                            Ryan - There you go, another good R&D project idea.

                            Ryan

                            > > I routinely download various documents to my PDA, including the Safety Code, Pink Book, and motor lists.

                            That would work too, but a simple app would probably do a better job of handling the screen size and a better job of having an interface setup for the platform.

                            --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Ez2cDave@... wrote:

                            > That sounds very interesting . . . I wonder if we have someone in the NAR who could write programs like that?

                            Sounds like we just gave somebody a good R&D project idea...

                            > Maybe Contest Manager running in "real time", too.

                            There you go, another good R&D project idea.

                            Ryan

                          • Greg
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
                              Well, extending this into the realm of the iPad (I've got one of those), I loaded the pdf version of the Pink Book into the iBooks app. I can thus reference the PB easily, and if I get around to it, I can also modify the pdf first with indices and references.

                              iPad (or iPhone) rocketry apps I'd like to see include something on the order of Rocsim, and I would like some sort of flight log app. Until such time that someone actually does make something like this, I can at least do the latter using Docs2Go and an Excel spreadsheet.

                              Greg

                              --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, "rdwoebke" <rdwoebke@...> wrote:

                              > --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Gnomad <gnomad@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > The use of these tools "in the field" is somewhat dubious,
                              >
                              > Oh, I don't know about that. I can think of tons of useful apps. Pink Book app. This would be an app where a CD or an RSO could do quick searches or quickly look at the rules. Certified motor app. Safety code app. Obviously a lot of these things could be just viewed on the website in a browser but for devices that are not cellularly connected to the internet (say an iTouch) an offline app would be super handy.
                              >
                              > Ryan

                            • rdwoebke
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
                                --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gpoehlein@...> wrote:

                                > Until such time that someone actually does make something like this,

                                And how could we forget the Croc App! :) Real time post count record status, flame war autotexting, the mind boggles at the oppertunities. :)

                                Ryan
                              • kidwell@narhams.org
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
                                  Android is Java-based, but doesn't use the standard JRE, so apps need to be compiled specifically for it. I need to do a bit of research to find out if any of the functionality used by CM is not available.

                                  The Pink Book is already available in HTML format, which should be well suited for bundling into an app. I don't have any experience in app development, nor do I have any compatible hardware, so it would be a bit of a learning curve for me. It's a good opportunity for someone else to take up a volunteer role with a small project.

                                  Chris

                                  > Now, all we need is someone who know how to write those programs. I can only think of one person, offhand, who probably could, but I don't want to be accused of "volunteering" anyone. Let's just say that he already has extensive experience with contest rocketry-related computer operations.
                                  >
                                  > Dave Fitch

                                  > -- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Ez2cDave@... wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > That sounds very interesting . . . I wonder if we have someone in the NAR who could write programs like that?
                                  >
                                  > Ryan - Sounds like we just gave somebody a good R&D project idea...
                                  >

                                  > > Maybe Contest Manager running in "real time", too.
                                  > >

                                  > Ryan - There you go, another good R&D project idea.
                                  >
                                  > Ryan

                                • rdwoebke
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
                                    --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Ez2cDave@... wrote:

                                    > Ryan,
                                    >
                                    > Now, all we need is someone who know how to write those programs. I can only think of one person, offhand, who probably could

                                    Probably just about anyone could write an app. I have a co-worker that wrote a windows phone app just to see if he could do it. I'd do some contest rocketry apps myself if I didn't have more interesting things to think about and I wanted ideas for an R&D.

                                    Ryan