Re: Ares-1 & Shuttle news

  • dunbar.jonathan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      Group,

      I guess its OK to post a non-contest related posting about this posting which by the way was funny in a couple different ways.

      George's posting is a great segway into the rumors surrounding the remaining STS launches managed by the United Space Alliance (USA).

      No I am not going to make this into a political shoot-out (*gasp*); I just wanted to pass along what I have heard from people who are rocketeers as a PROFESSION and not as hobbyists:

      There are 4 remaining STS flights left in the programs life cycle. The final certification SRB firing took place earlier this year; going foreward, there will be NO FURTHER SRB STS certifications; e.g. its like when NAR certifies a motor for us, then the manufacture says no more, we are discontinuing the motor. The dies, molds, and equipment used to manufacture SRB's has been destroyed/recycled/dismantled. To sum it up, STS is done.

      Now, there are some 15,000 USA employees who are not interested in applying for unemployment benefits. Therefore, they are not in a hurry to get Shuttles into space anytime soon. A 3 month delay = 3 more months of wages.

      Now I have to hit the rumor bell: *ding* *ding* *ding*

      I have on very good authority and maybe this is no secret to the rest of you (sorry if I am posting old news) that USA employees are planning to walk off their posts 3 hours before the next STS flight in protest against Obama's/Democrat NASA budget cuts.

      Now I think this admirable and I support their decision if they actually go through with the planned walk-off (please don't argue this with me, its just my personal opinion and its NOT going to change, so don't waste your time with posting counter point at my opinion).

      I wanted to pass this along as a 'heads up' to those who follow America's manned space program.

      OH, BTW, I sucked at the last PRM meet, so all I will manage this year are points for SSS and our hopeful 6th in a row section championship. Just wanted to be on the safe side and add something relating to NAR competition to this posting :)

      Jonathan - To infinity and BEYOND!