Re: [contestRoc] staging

  • Steve Humphrey
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1, 2007
      Bob Kaplow wrote:
      > C Scale Altitude is more about the altitude than the scale.

      I'd like to understand why you think so.

      First, the total scale points are 1200, while the best likely altitude
      is around 400 meters. (Yeah, the record for C-Alt is 750+ meters but I
      don't see that being achieved with today's motors, and no way a scale
      model is going even 500 meters.) So the score would seem weighted 3-to-1
      in favor of scale.

      Second, I don't see models with similar scale scores getting
      significantly different altitude scores, assuming each modeler paid
      reasonable attention to choosing an "altitude-capable" prototype.

      FAI competition differs here. First, the total scale score is a bit
      lower (1050, or is it 800? looks like they don't include flight points).
      Second, the broader motor choices allow for higher altitudes (although
      the best altitude last year was only 446 meters).

      I suppose a judge could decide the event should be an altitude event,
      and give scale scores that are bunched up together. Is that what
      happens? Whether by design or because the WSMC is a meeting of the
      world's best modelers, this happens last year: the top 10 static scores
      at Baikonur differed by only 30 points (5%).

      Steve Humphrey
    • Bob Kaplow
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 2, 2007
        |If the "confusion" is with the event as stated in the pink book, where does
        |the NARAM CD have any pull, control, or business changing the event as
        |written in the pink book, except as a member of NAR making an RCP? Too many
        |NARAM CD's have encountered issues trying to rewrite the rules midstream
        |without a suitable horse...

        Absolutely none at all. Any such rulings aren't worth the paper they are
        printed on. But the place I expect the excrement to impact the impeller is G
        SRA, not C SCA. I suspect some of my way outside the envelope but fully
        within the current crappy rules ideas to generate some protests. Not to
        mentionthe current ruling posted on the site that makes the use of 6mm kraft
        tubing illegal as "unsafe" but permits materials hard enough to be used as a
        baseball bat. As I said last fall, "What were they thinking?"