Re: Vacuum Bagging Questions . . .

  • Terrill Willard
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
      --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, Ez2cDave@a... wrote:

      > Guys,
      >
      > When vacuum-bagging various materials, how much vacuum is enough
      and how
      > much is too much ?
      >
      > Also, do these levels change significantly when vacuum-bagging
      foam, balsa,
      > paper body tubes, and/or plywood ?
      >
      > Do the vacuum requirements change for fiberglass vs. carbon-fiber ?
      >
      > Thanks, in advance !
      >
      > Dave

      Dave,
      Here is a link to a home-made vac-pump. I have seen several and am
      anxious to make one. This site is about homebuilt aircraft, but it
      is the same process with larger layups.

      Link... http://www.berkut13.com/sucker.htm

      Best of luck,
      Terrill
      NAR 55192
    • gcgassaway@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
        What I originally used was ACP’s “EZ-Vac” , pulling 7-8” of mercury
        (self-limited) and economically priced. Actually the first time I used one was in
        1992 when Bob Parks loaned me one to build a prototype of his Raven-7 F & G
        powered R/C R/G, then later I bought my own. See the top of this page:

        http://www.acp-composites.com/acp-vbs.htm

        That’s the pump that eventually (somehow) got stronger and partially crushed
        one of the panels of a Cuda wing that had a white foam core.

        The pump I use now is one I got on eBay, a guy who converted refrigerator
        motor/pumps for vac-bagging purposes. I got it around 4 years ago, so I do not
        recall who it was. I found out about them from a posting on an R/C sailplane
        mailing list.

        - George Gassaway

      • kevinj73us
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
          And I just use my FoodSaver. I have the "apartment" sized unit that
          accepts bags about 6 inches wide- enough to do fins for competition
          rockets, or wings for a Cuda.

          kj

        • Ez2cDave@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
            In a message dated 12/6/05 4:25:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            kevinj73us@... writes:
            And I just use my FoodSaver. I have the "apartment" sized unit that
            accepts bags about 6 inches wide- enough to do fins for competition
            rockets, or wings for a Cuda.

            kj
            ***************

            KJ & George,

            In addition to NAR Competition, I'll be doing laminations for HPR Projects,
            up to and including Level 3 . . .

            I just want to buy "enough" quipment to do both . . .

            Thanks !

            Dave Fitch
            NAR 26128 / Level 2
            TRA 517 / Level 2

          • kkooch2002
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
              --- In contestRoc@yahoogroups.com, "kevinj73us" <kevinj73us@y...> wrote:

              > And I just use my FoodSaver. I have the "apartment" sized unit that
              > accepts bags about 6 inches wide- enough to do fins for competition
              > rockets, or wings for a Cuda.

              I have a foodsaver but have never used to vac parts. Mine shuts off
              after pulling the vacuum and then seals the bag. I wonder what the
              shut-off/seal point is and how repeatable it is.

              Another nice thing about using a vac pump with a regulator is that you
              can make sure that no wrinkles are introduced when the bag pulls down
              simply by pulling a light vacuum at first and then smoothing out any
              wrinkles with your hands. Then up the vac to full throttle once
              everything is smoothed out.

              Also, with the Invacare Aspirator I use, I've noticed no overheating
              over time or at least 24 hours. I have heard of this happening with
              some pumps though.

              - KK
            • Ez2cDave@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
                In a message dated 12/6/05 8:59:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                kkuczek@... writes:

                Also, with the Invacare Aspirator I use, I've noticed no overheating
                over time or at least 24 hours. I have heard of this happening with
                some pumps though.

                - KK
                **************************

                Kevin,

                I just picked this up on eBay . . . Under $12.00, plus shipping ($10.00 ) . .
                . $22.00 Total !

                INVACARE Medical Aspirator / Suction Pump

                NOW . . . To learn how to get this thing set up & how to use it ! ! !

                MANUFACTURER's SPECIFICATIONS:

                Aspirator
                Aspirator

                Product ID: IRC1135
                HMESA CODE: 30-30-02-01

                $352.00*

                Click image for larger view
                Product Comparison
                Specifications / Brochure
                Owners Manual

                View Parts

                Price List
                Email This Product
                Print This Page

                The Invacare Aspirator is the durable suction unit designed for most
                home-care suction requirements.

                Adjustable vacuums from 0-22in Hg - Non-marring rubber feet
                Durable piston vacuum pump - Easy-to-read gauges
                High-performance vacuum specifications
                Single-use collection jars and connecting tubing for quick and easy
                replacement (1 set included)
                UL and CSA listed

                Dimensions:13"L x 5.5"W x 10.25"H

                Product Weight:10.4 lb

                Vacuum Range:0-560 mm Hg

                Operating Flow Rate:0-34 lpm

                Electrical:115-220 VAC: 50-60Hz 1/10 hp shaded pole motor

                Warranty:1 year

                NOTE: For more detail please refer to the full specifications brochure link
                above, or call Customer Service at (800) 333-6900. All specifications, prices,
                and product configurations are subject to change without notification.
                Accessories and seating products shown in the photographs are not necessarily
                included in the base price of wheelchair. Please refer to current price lists located
                at http://www.invacare.com/.

                Dave F

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "CompositeRockets" on the web.