[connectikiters] Re: Indoor Flying

  • Jef Cleaves
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 1999
      Hi all:

      Regarding Rich's questions about Connecticut indoor flying.......

      So far I think the only indoor event we have had in Connecticut was at
      Woodstock Academy.

      There really hasn't been any real interest expressed by anyone to date. We
      did have a nibble acouple of years ago, but it came to naught.

      The "Hanger" referred to is on Pratt & Whitney Aircraft's (not Sikorsky)
      property. It is adjacent to Rentchler (name after the co-founder of Pratt &
      Whitney.........it's a long story) Airfield. It has been proposed that it
      be developed as a Exhibition facility, and in fact has been used in that
      capacity once or twice. I would think that the cost would be somewhat
      daunting.

      Following the "Marblehead Model" what seems to work best is a school
      gymnasium with 21' ceiling. There is at least one in every town. The cost
      is moderate. When divided among attendees, it becomes minimal.After that
      all that is needed is "a sound system" (a good boom box will do. That is
      what we used at Muncie). The interesting thing to me has been "if you have
      it, they will come".

      The only way to really determine Connecticut's interest in indoor flying, I
      would think, would be to set one up and see who comes......

      I would be glad to help.

      jef cleaves
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2001
        Fellow Kiteflyers:

        Indoor flying in CT is now a reality !

        As some of you know, over the last few months Rich Michna and I have
        been working to secure permission to hold indoor flys in the Seymour,
        CT public schools. At a Board of Education meeting last week, that
        permission was finally granted. Though the B.O.E. normally charges a
        $300 rental fee to use the facilities, they have waived that fee and
        we will only be responsible for hourly custodial charges.

        We have scheduled 4 indoor flys to start, all of which will be held
        in the Bungay Elementary school gym. The flys will be monthly at
        first. Later, if the level of interest is sufficient we will
        investigate more frequent flys and possible use of a larger facility
        like Seymour High School or the new Seymour Middle School.

        We will be passing the hat in order to cover custodial fees and AKA
        sanctioning cost. Responses to this post will help us gauge the
        number of participants and thus estimate the donation cost in
        advance. Please note that we intend to waive the donation for any
        members of the non-kiteflying public for their first try in order to
        promote kiting.

        The first four flys are as follows:

        August 31st - 6:30PM - 9:30PM
        October 27th - 8:30AM - 11:30AM
        November 17th - 8:30AM - 11:30AM
        December 8th - 8:30AM - 11:30AM

        Directions to Bungay Elementary School will follow in another post,
        for now just check your calendars and mark the dates. All types of
        indoor kites are welcome - dual-line, quad-line, single-line - bring
        it along and come fly indoors with us!

        - Ron Graziano