[connectikiters] Re: Indoor Flying

  • paul berard
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 1999
      Hi all long time no see! I'm still here. Did some real good indoor at
      the Muncie convention (I kinda kicked off my shoes when I got there and
      there was no stopping me).

      I am interested in flying indoors anywhere. Finances always play a role
      in flying indoors and a nice warm "free" place is always a good start. I
      Fly now regularly now every other week on a friday night, the very low
      costs are shared buy about five people. In two hours five people can fly
      till they drop in a school gym. Total travel time for me each night is one
      hour,getting real low milage with my truck(not to mention my poor driving
      habits) costs me about $7.00 worth of gas each time I go it costs me
      another $20.00 each time for hall rental.
      I live in the northeast corner of RI, which puts me about 30 minutes away
      from Putnum Conn. I would travel a considerable distance for an indoor fly
      but not on a regular basis.

      Indoor flys has become a social, physical, and enjoyable experience in the
      boston area. The flys are held once a month on a saturday evening and
      anything can happen, which keeps the non indoor flying flyers showing
      up(the only people who pay are the flyers)just to see whats happening.
      I've seen people show up with slide shows(complete with movie screens),
      what better place to open up a large kite on the side lines and check for
      wear, what better place to to maybe cut some large pices of cloth, what
      better place to share patterns,fly mini kites,work on the newsletter, share
      photo's,give someone a hug, or just fly indoors(the only rule in indoor
      flying is you have to share). For these flys I travel roundtrip in about
      three hours and if enough people show up the fly cost us $5.00 a flyer
      (some times things get slow or the weather scares people I've paid up to
      $10.00 on some occasions. The beauty of these flys is they are held close
      to a large group of indoor flyers(the hard core people always show up).

      I'll bring something so that everyone can fly (fighters,small dual
      line,mini's,Ect..) just let me know where and how I can help!
      Almost forgot indoor flys always have background music to fly to so bring
      your favorite Cd's.

      "fly indoor fighter's till your fingers bleed,its a blast"
      Pauly

      At 11:06 AM 10/18/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >As the sun sets earlier, and the wind blows colder,
      >I think more and more about indoor flying. I would
      >like to start flying indoors regularly, therefore I
      >have the following questions:
      >
      >(1) Are you flying indoors in CT? If so, where?
      >(2) Are you interested in flying CT? If so, where?
      >(3) Has a spot for the indoor club fly been found?
      >
      >In order to establish regular indoor flying over the
      >winter months, I think we need a �critical mass� of
      >10 or more flyers. I�m hoping there are enough
      >folks within a reasonable distance of each other to
      >get started. For what it�s worth I would like to fly
      >for a few hours once a week at a minimum. I live
      >and work in the Farmington valley area.
      >
      >A flyer at Harkness suggested contacting Sikorsky's
      >Rensalaer (sp?) Airfield in East Hartford. He said
      >there is a large hangar facility that isn't used to
      >house planes anymore, only for holding an
      >occasional trade show or expo, but mostly unused.
      >He thought they might be receptive to letting in a
      >group of kiteflyers. Does anyone have any other
      >suggestions for possible central CT locations?
      >
      >Rich Michna

      >Power, 3D graphics, and fun! Experience for yourself why Sega Dreamcast
      >is the most talked about video game system of the year. Order yours
      >today! Visit KBkids.com at: http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1180
      >

      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/connectikiters

      Paul N. Berard
    • Jef Cleaves
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 1999
        Hi all:

        Regarding Rich's questions about Connecticut indoor flying.......

        So far I think the only indoor event we have had in Connecticut was at
        Woodstock Academy.

        There really hasn't been any real interest expressed by anyone to date. We
        did have a nibble acouple of years ago, but it came to naught.

        The "Hanger" referred to is on Pratt & Whitney Aircraft's (not Sikorsky)
        property. It is adjacent to Rentchler (name after the co-founder of Pratt &
        Whitney.........it's a long story) Airfield. It has been proposed that it
        be developed as a Exhibition facility, and in fact has been used in that
        capacity once or twice. I would think that the cost would be somewhat
        daunting.

        Following the "Marblehead Model" what seems to work best is a school
        gymnasium with 21' ceiling. There is at least one in every town. The cost
        is moderate. When divided among attendees, it becomes minimal.After that
        all that is needed is "a sound system" (a good boom box will do. That is
        what we used at Muncie). The interesting thing to me has been "if you have
        it, they will come".

        The only way to really determine Connecticut's interest in indoor flying, I
        would think, would be to set one up and see who comes......

        I would be glad to help.

        jef cleaves
        > As the sun sets earlier, and the wind blows colder,
        > I think more and more about indoor flying. I would
        > like to start flying indoors regularly, therefore I
        > have the following questions:
        >
        > (1) Are you flying indoors in CT? If so, where?
        > (2) Are you interested in flying CT? If so, where?
        > (3) Has a spot for the indoor club fly been found?
        >
        > In order to establish regular indoor flying over the
        > winter months, I think we need a "critical mass" of
        > 10 or more flyers. I'm hoping there are enough
        > folks within a reasonable distance of each other to
        > get started. For what it's worth I would like to fly
        > for a few hours once a week at a minimum. I live
        > and work in the Farmington valley area.
        >
        > A flyer at Harkness suggested contacting Sikorsky's
        > Rensalaer (sp?) Airfield in East Hartford. He said
        > there is a large hangar facility that isn't used to
        > house planes anymore, only for holding an
        > occasional trade show or expo, but mostly unused.
        > He thought they might be receptive to letting in a
        > group of kiteflyers. Does anyone have any other
        > suggestions for possible central CT locations?
        >
        > Rich Michna

        > Power, 3D graphics, and fun! Experience for yourself why Sega Dreamcast
        > is the most talked about video game system of the year. Order yours
        > today! Visit KBkids.com at: http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1180
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/connectikiters

      • Rich Michna
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2001
          Fellow Kiteflyers:

          Indoor flying in CT is now a reality !

          As some of you know, over the last few months Rich Michna and I have
          been working to secure permission to hold indoor flys in the Seymour,
          CT public schools. At a Board of Education meeting last week, that
          permission was finally granted. Though the B.O.E. normally charges a
          $300 rental fee to use the facilities, they have waived that fee and
          we will only be responsible for hourly custodial charges.

          We have scheduled 4 indoor flys to start, all of which will be held
          in the Bungay Elementary school gym. The flys will be monthly at
          first. Later, if the level of interest is sufficient we will
          investigate more frequent flys and possible use of a larger facility
          like Seymour High School or the new Seymour Middle School.

          We will be passing the hat in order to cover custodial fees and AKA
          sanctioning cost. Responses to this post will help us gauge the
          number of participants and thus estimate the donation cost in
          advance. Please note that we intend to waive the donation for any
          members of the non-kiteflying public for their first try in order to
          promote kiting.

          The first four flys are as follows:

          August 31st - 6:30PM - 9:30PM
          October 27th - 8:30AM - 11:30AM
          November 17th - 8:30AM - 11:30AM
          December 8th - 8:30AM - 11:30AM

          Directions to Bungay Elementary School will follow in another post,
          for now just check your calendars and mark the dates. All types of
          indoor kites are welcome - dual-line, quad-line, single-line - bring
          it along and come fly indoors with us!

          - Ron Graziano