Re: [connectikiters] Bubble making workshop

  • vince morrison
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 23, 2013
      Hello,

      Can't make the workshop,

      Here is a You tube instruction for complete monster bubble wands and bubble juice

      Proven materials and methods

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFUCOBp2P2Y

      A huge hit at the Annapolis kite festival when the wind dropped too low to fly kites.

      Vince

      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2013
        Last chance to join in, I will be making up the kits tomorrow. So far I have the five participants Maggie listed below.

        The plan is to do this workshop in the campground on Friday evening so we can use them on Saturday (and Friday too). If there is sufficient interest, I could repeat on Saturday evening.

        We will be making two bubble wands. A garland wand that makes lots of small to basketball size bubbles from each dip and a large tri-string loop for really big bubbles.

        I will also demonstrate the mixing of a great bubble mix (that works better than the corn syrup mix that has been going around) and provide more than one good recipe.

        The cost covers the wand materials with simple 4' bamboo handles included. Also included is a bottle of concentrate for making 1 gallon of bubble stuff.

        To join in, reply here, or directly to me by end of day on Wednesday.

        Kevin

        --- In connectikiters@yahoogroups.com, Maggie Engvall <maggiekite@...> wrote:

        > Who are interested in doing a bubble wand making workshop at the
        > Hammonasset campground Friday, May 17th, evening? Cost would be $10.00.
        > Instructor would be Keven Reynolds. We need a count for Keven to bring
        > supplies. So far Dave, Sandy and Cameron. Gary and Andy.
        > Maggie
        >
        > --
        > Maggie Engvall <mailto:maggiekite@...>
        > AKA Region One Director
        > The American Kitefliers Association <http://www.aka.kite.org/>

      • vince morrison
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2013
          Hey Kevin,

          I'll put up my corn syrup mix up against anything else you can dream up, for cost, ease and huge consistent bubbles!!!

          Some REMCO chemistry set concoction is bunk.

          Vince

          --- In mailto:connectikiters%40yahoogroups.com, Maggie Engvall <maggiekite@...> wrote:

          > Who are interested in doing a bubble wand making workshop at the
          > Hammonasset campground Friday, May 17th, evening? Cost would be $10.00.
          > Instructor would be Keven Reynolds. We need a count for Keven to bring
          > supplies. So far Dave, Sandy and Cameron. Gary and Andy.
          > Maggie
          >
          > --
          > Maggie Engvall <mailto:maggiekite@...>
          > AKA Region One Director
          > The American Kitefliers Association <http://www.aka.kite.org/>

        • Beachkiteflyer
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2013
            I will watch and learn.
            Andy

            Sent with the Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

            I'll put up my corn syrup mix up against anything else you can dream up, for cost, ease and huge consistent bubbles!!!

            Some REMCO chemistry set concoction is bunk.

            Vince

            Last chance to join in, I will be making up the kits tomorrow. So far I have the five participants Maggie listed below.

            The plan is to do this workshop in the campground on Friday evening so we can use them on Saturday (and Friday too). If there is sufficient interest, I could repeat on Saturday evening.

            We will be making two bubble wands. A garland wand that makes lots of small to basketball size bubbles from each dip and a large tri-string loop for really big bubbles.

            I will also demonstrate the mixing of a great bubble mix (that works better than the corn syrup mix that has been going around) and provide more than one good recipe.

            The cost covers the wand materials with simple 4' bamboo handles included. Also included is a bottle of concentrate for making 1 gallon of bubble stuff.

            To join in, reply here, or directly to me by end of day on Wednesday.

            Kevin

            --- In mailto:connectikiters%40yahoogroups.com, Maggie Engvall <maggiekite@...> wrote:

            > Who are interested in doing a bubble wand making workshop at the
            > Hammonasset campground Friday, May 17th, evening? Cost would be $10.00.
            > Instructor would be Keven Reynolds. We need a count for Keven to bring
            > supplies. So far Dave, Sandy and Cameron. Gary and Andy.
            > Maggie
            >
            > --
            > Maggie Engvall <mailto:maggiekite@...>
            > AKA Region One Director
            > The American Kitefliers Association <http://www.aka.kite.org/>

          • reynolds5520
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2013
              Hi Vince,

              I hope you didn't feel I was making an unwarranted jab at corn syrup mixes (not my intention). One huge advantage to the corn syrup mix is that the ingredients are so easy to find. It really does make some great bubbles too!

              In my tests, some of the other recipes with more exotic ingredients appeared to work better. But objective testing is hard to do. There are nearly endless variables and bubbles are fleeting things that are hard to study. Testing conditions can vary by the second, humidity, air pollution, pollen, dust, car exhaust can all be a factor. How the string is prepared, and how it was used previously can make a difference. Technique with the wand can make a difference. Put it all together and proper controlled tests are very difficult to quantify.

              One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that any bubble mix that makes bubbles is good for some smiles. And in the end, that's what it's all about.

              Kevin

              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2013
                Hello Kevin,

                Right On...spent a lot of time studying the bubble formulas and still come back to dawn and corn syrup for simple great bubbles.

                If you have not tired it, I just plain love using cotton mop head replacement for the string.  Try it. Find one at the supermarket make sure it is a continuous type, cut out the plastic pieces, then use a thread puller to take off the cloth strips. One mop head will yield about 60 feet of line. Nothing I have found works better and all this only cost around 3 bucks.

                Have fun this weekend, and that's the whole idea.