Fw: Be careful taking your BBQ cover off in the spring

  • josephcarpentry
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2010
    What a shame! All the more reason to educate the public, this colony could have been removed easily and safely.

    Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:39 PM
    Subject: Fw: Be careful taking your BBQ cover off in the spring

    Hi Joe, one of our friend sent us this email. It is sad that these people killed the bees.

    Veronica
    Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2010
      very sad that they all are gone....with colony collapse we need our bees!!!!!

    • Rocfighter@sbcglobal.net
      Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2010
        What is truely sad is these people seem to be proud of killing all these honey bees. I know many keepers that would have driven many miles to collect all those bees. What a shame.
          Dave

        What a shame! All the more reason to educate the public, this colony could have been removed easily and safely.

        Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:39 PM

        Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2010

          Sorry to disagree with you Cy, but you don't have to be a psychiatrist to see where this guys head is at.

          Please note from the photos that he lives in an area where it is warm enough to have Palm trees outside. In warm
          or Tropical areas, Bee Hives are very active and the Bees are flying in and out of the nest constantly all year long
          depositing pollen they have collected. I have seen Bee Hives for years, and the number of Bees coming in and out
          of that large a hive every couple of minutes would have been a lot more than just a few bees. Also he would have heard
          a very loud buzzing sound from a Hive that large especially under a Gazebo. So I can't buy that he thought there were
          only a few Bees there.

          The large number of detailed pictures he took of the "death toll and mass grave" (his words not mine), the
          time it would have taken him to set up his contraption to kill the bees and his flip statement "I thought I
          was pretty  smart (hehehe), designed to be easily maneuvered under the cover of darkness......
          so then I release the  weapon of buzz destruction" leads me to believe he knew there was a hive there,
          knew exactly what he was doing and was proud of his achievement. People that live in warm or tropical areas
          see Bees and Bee Hives all the time and are especially aware of them when they are on their property. In addition
          when you live in these areas you are well aware of their pollination value and their beneficial nature.

          The only explanation for his apparent ignorance is that either that he lives somewhere else where they don't have Bees
          all year long and he uses this house as a Vacation house (borne out by the cover over the barbecue and the size of the
          nest which would have taken quite a while to develop); or he saw a lot of Bees, wanted to kill them and didn't give a damn
          (which is not illegal, just ignorant) or maybe both. He may have been justified if these were Africanized Honeybees
          (very aggressive Honey Bees imported from Africa and crossed with Domestic Honey Bees to increase the yield of Honey),
          but if they were, they will attack anything that gets within 25 feet of the hive and would not even have let him walk onto his porch.
          Because of their high level of aggression, Africanized Honey Bee populations, which are rare, are normally reported to local
          government authorities for removal. In addition they are detrimental to the Honey Bee populations.

          Having said all that, considering the time it probably took him to devise the "plan and the weapon" and the fact he was
          so proud of his accomplishment that he would thoroughly document it with detailed photos and running commentary,
          indicates to me that these Bees were not aggressive and could have easily been safely removed, transported and released
          by a Bee Keeper, but he apparently was either totally ignorant of this or could have cared less and decided to destroy them.
          A shame!

          Finally, a warning to all Praying Mantis, stay out of this guys yard!

          I think I'll go out and fly my Bee Kite.

          p.s. My Honey says Thank You

          Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29, 2010
            To Robert D,
            Being the "forwarder" of this shameful act, I couldn't agree with you more. This ignoramus was indeed proud of his deed and felt a sick need to share it with others.
            Yes, it was clearly a warmer area due to the palm trees in the background, and Africanized Honey Bees  (AHB)  can be a problem in those areas. If this was a concern ,an experienced beekeeper could have safely removed this colony, hived it, replace the queen with a non-aggressive queen, and in 6-7 weeks would have a normal beehive.
            If anyone down south knows who this person is, beware of your pets and children, they most likely won't be safe in his presence! If any of you have friends/relatives in the south, forward this to them so maybe we can smoke this bastard out.
            Sad beekeeper in CT.

            Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:39 PM

            Message 6 of 6 , Mar 29, 2010
              I surrender.............I also agree.........the guy is and most always will be one of those that pose the greatest threat to our environment.. ......I was trying to give a possible logical  reason for his reckless behavior ......but......to sum it  up.....i can't..............                                        '

              Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:39 PM