Region One Party and Workshops

  • rwoods5589@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      I would like to thank everyone who came to the Region One Party and Workshops yesterday. A great time was had by all. I would like to thank my workshop presenters Pauly, Glenn and Joe T. Thanks guys you did a great job and everyone had a blast. I was really impressed by the energy in the room everyone was having a good time all day, talking, making kites and tuning up their sewing machines. Not to mention eating all the outstanding dishes everyone prepared. We've been to quite a few kite parties over the years but I would have to say this one took the cake. Speaking of cake Edd Brooks from down the cape made a very nice looking eddy AKA cake, Great Job !!! It dressed up the table very nicely.

           The region One Round Table Meeting was very productive with over 40 members in attendance we discussed many issues before the AKA such as dues, membership, the Newsletter/Magazine, convention costs and locations, and our leaders in the AKA and who and what they represent.

           We talked about how much the Newsletter is costing our membership and that cost is well over $25,000 per year. Our convention manger is costing another $22.000 per year.  Are there ways to keep costs down and to keep membership from going up?  We think so. I asked for a show of hands to see who would rather get a shiny Kiting Magazine or a cheaper less elaborate Newsletter.  99% of the room went for the Newsletter. We talked about having a few super sites that convention would go to year after year that would save us in negotiations and save us money with our convention manger and also help the AKA grow. If there are issues you would like to address that could help our Association please send me an e-mail.  I'll be happy to address them with the BOD.

      I also ran the four convention locations for 2008 by everyone, Gettysburg PA. , Clearwater FL. , Panama City FL. , and Ocean City MD.  99% of the members voted to go back to Ocean City except me and I love Ocean City. Not one member even expressed any desire to go to Gettysburg or Panama City. I would have to say Ocean City would be my pick for a super site on the East Coast. I can't think of a better venue on the entire Atlantic seaboard to have a kiting event.

      Again thanks to all those who attended and for your support. I hope to see you on the flying field sometime soon.

      Woody Woods
      Region One Director

      See what's free at AOL.com.