AKA, BOD and all that...

  • kitesec
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2007
      Hi All,
      My name is Dave Butler, and I am the present AKA Treasurer. I have
      been reading the east coast forums and have seen the concerns about
      the BOD and its actions. Part of the problems is that the BOD is this
      nebulous body; it doesn't have a face. I have seen concerns that the
      BOD is in the president's pocket and a bunch of "sycophants." I
      believe part of the issue is the space between us. For instance, I
      find that it is much easier to listen to an opinion or position with
      which I disagree, if it is coming from a friend. I try to keep that in
      mind when I am listening to arguments presented by strangers. I would
      also like to attach a face to my title rather than simply be an
      anonymous BOD member.

      As I said, my name is David Butler, but I guess I prefer Dave. My
      family roots are east coast (central Pennsylvania, and Upper New York
      State) and mid-west (Minnesota), but my dad was a lifer sergeant in
      the Air Force (mom was an accountant), and we ended up on the west
      coast. (Probably for the hunting and fishing as much as anything
      else). By profession I am a Scientist/Engineer for Xerox. I mention
      it because I have been told I have an engineer's personality and
      outlook. I fully admit to being more interested in solving problems
      than managing groups of others to solve them; I will never be a
      manager (I have neither the disposition or mind set). I try to base my
      opinions and conclusion on facts, and am not afraid to do research. I
      also realize that I can be wrong. For a project to succeed, you must
      accept the possibility that you can be wrong, and listen to the other
      positions (sometimes, when an idea is your brainchild, it is difficult
      to abandon or kill it, but I realize that sometimes it is necessary).

      I've been flying kites for about 20 years now, and making them for the
      last 15. Some of you may recognize me from rec.kites from about 10 to
      15 years ago, and others may know me from the kitebuilders forum. My
      wife and I make hand painted, fabric kites. People seem to like them,
      but truthfully we make them for ourselves, not for recognition. Some
      of you may have seen them though, if you've come to the west coast. I
      also came to the east coast with them once (Ocean City, 2002 AKA). I
      would like to get out to the east coast for flying more, but for some
      reason, when I come out east, my family out there wants my time. They
      don't see why I would come all the way from Oregon to fly kites, when
      I could have done that in Oregon. They'd rather I'd see family and
      friends. I admit they have a point, but it does greatly limit my
      flying kites back east. By the way, I also make miniature kites and
      have been honored with invitations to teach miniature kites at several
      kite making conferences, so I may have met you at one of those. I see
      miniature kites, especially cellular kites to be little puzzles to solve.

      Up till this last year, I have strongly avoided any sort of official
      position, either in the AKA or otherwise. I have found that regardless
      of the good intentions, and the good people, someone will eventually
      step on someone else's toes or perceived territory, and a fight will
      break out (this is a general problem, not isolated to kiting). I have
      seen too many good friends on both sides of an issue cause a schism
      and permanent hard feelings. I've made it clear that if a group needs
      my help, I will give it, and will contribute, but I didn't want an
      official position. So, you may well be wondering how I ended up
      Treasurer. I don't know our present president very well. We've
      obviously met on different occasions and talked, but not about
      politics, nor did I seek the position. Apparently a few people
      recommended me to her, and so she asked if I would be Treasurer if she
      was elected. My wife and I spend a long time talking about the offer,
      and thought perhaps I could make a contribution to kiting and widen
      the circle of kite people we know (well, I guess I have succeeded,
      though in a perverse manner). Anyway, I accepted and here we are.
      Susan though definitely did not get me in her pocket; I wouldn't have
      fit anyway. I find it ironic though, that the reasons I stayed out of
      politics came strongly to the AKA in this year. Bluntly, had I truly
      known the cross country dynamics, I would have turned down the
      position. I got involved in kiting for the people, the beauty of the
      kites, and the flying time. Painting the sky with my friends is much
      more important to me that marking off some political turf, and getting
      influence. I don't enjoy politics; it's not worth my time.

      Anyway I hope you have a little better idea of who I am. Now I do not
      expect you to suddenly put aside all your opinions the recent issue
      and find the sudden urge to agree with my opinions. At least though,
      you may have some appreciation that the BOD has people, probably not
      too different from yourself, rather than being a faceless, imperious
      cabal.

      Dave Butler
    • kitesec
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2007
        It may be that some of you have sent me email. It has come to my
        attention that my provider is filtering out all email sent though
        yahoo as spam, and then tossing it. If you have sent me email and have
        not gotten a reply, that is the reason. If you would still like to
        email me, my email address is davebu@.... Please email
        directly rather than through yahoo's "reply" as I won't see it otherwise.

        Dave Butler