RE: [connectikiters] RE: Region One Director removal

  • David O. Stern
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2 9:20 PM
      Message
      Many years ago when the Connectikiters were born I joined.  I joined because I enjoyed kite flying and a club whose motto was "Just for the Fun of It" seemed to me to be worthwhile being a part of.  I remember when affiliating with the AKA engendered long and thoughtful discussion among our members, mostly concerned, as I recall, with making our club to official or political.

      We finally seem to have gotten there.  I can't remember a time when the connectikiter's yahoo lists were so busy.  But what are they busy doing?  Where to fly kites, what kites to fly, who is bringing what for a picnic or barbeque?  No,  This is entirely about who did what to whom and when.  This is neither why I started to fly kites nor what I want to see filling up our listserv.

      Let us start again with the our original question of a number of years ago, does the AKA provide a value that makes the Connectikiters membership in it worthwhile?

      Food for thought

      Regards to all, hope to see you soon

      David Stern
      looking for fair winds away from the storm

    • vbwalton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3 10:13 AM
        Hi Dave,

        Although Bernie and I have moved on to other interests, we welcome our Connectikiters newsletter and check in with the internet chat about issues.  It can never be like it was in the beginning again. We are convinced of that. However, I'm sure that the club continues to evolve due to the good intentions of good and wonderful people.

        Yes, you are right, there was considerable discussion among club members whether to affiliate with AKA. Would we lose our identity?  Would we become political?  Would we become a part of something else instead of being something in and of ourselves?  Would we become focused on "winning" instead of simply serving the interests of family kiting? Could we ally ourselves with AKA and keep our philosophy and "culture" in tact without getting swallowed up?

        I think the thing that made us kind of special was that kites were simply a vehicle for getting together and were not an end in themselves.  We had NO "stars."  We just liked getting together. I don't know... it's kind of hard to explain.

        Anyway Dave, Nice to hear from you.... Don't you wish we could do it all over again sometime? Of course it could never be like it was... but, it was special, wasn't it.

        Warm Regards to you and the family,

        Vic and Bernie