[connectikiters] [Fwd: ConnectiKITERS Feedback]

  • Tim LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 1999
      Steven has a question for anyone that can help.
      Please be sure to reply to the group as well as him
      directly at Steven@....

      Thanks in advance for providing any info you can.

      Tim LeBlanc
      tim@...
      http://connectikiters.org/

    • Hayden1009@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 1999
        Steven wrote:
        > thoughts_ideas: I own a U.S. Navy Target kite Mark I, could you tell me anything about this kite? >

        Stephen, check with the Smithsonian Institute (Air & Space Museum. Dr. Paul Garber (of target kite fame) was associated with the Air & Space museum up until his death. Other than that you can find referrences through you library in books like KITES by David Pelham and probably some WWI or WWII books as well.

        good luck,
        Alice Hayden
      • VBWALTON@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 1999
          To whom it may concern....

          Re: Navy Target Kite: I too own a complete Navy Target kite with winder,
          original Navy use manual and an original sail signed by Dr. Paul Garbor its
          inventor. 300,000 were produced near the end of World War II to be used by
          fighter pilots for target practice.... generally off the fan tail of aircraft
          carriers. It is one of the first examples of an efficient maneuverable two
          line kite. There are only a few left.

          Vic Walton (connectikiters founder)
        • Tim LeBlanc
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 1999
            This message was received via the web site feedback form.
            If you choose to respond, send your message to: fightakite@...

            Tim LeBlanc
            tim@...
            http://connectikiters.org/

          • GEngvall@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7, 1999
              In a message dated 9/7/99 10:15:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              tim@... writes:

              > > thoughts_ideas: Hi guys don't think this is the way to get ahold of
              people,
              > but it will have to do.... I'm in charge of the hopitalilty tent for the
              > fighter kite area at Munice, am trying to get some volunteers to spend some
              > time or just bring some munchies... If you know of any avivd fighter fans
              in
              > your club who arte going ....Have them e-mail me if they feel like it for
              > more info Thanks Andy

              Hiya Andy;

              It'll do as a way to talk to people....

              Um, I will be there, and I could bring munchies, but, um, er, ah, what is it
              worth to you ??? <sly grin> I mean, could someone bringing munchies, get,
              say, some fighter kite tips from you? (Something besides "Leave the Patang at
              home.") Or better yet, an Andy Seltzer fighter.... Hmmm....

              Hey, I can hope. <grin> See you in Muncie.

              How's everyone coming with the yellow & red unforms?????

              good heavens;
              gary engvall
            • Hayden1009@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 1999
                << How's everyone coming with the yellow & red unforms????? >>

                I hope that they are all burnt! Ugh! Well we never said kiters have fashion sense.

                Alcie (whatever)
              • cheryl lucas
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 9, 1999
                  Red just isn't my color-can we change the club colors to blue and yellow? ;-)
                  Cheryl

                • VBWALTON@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 10, 1999
                    Dear Cheryl,

                    With a few exceptions, the current membership would be brand new to
                    Bernie and me. We founded the club back in the mid-80s along with the
                    Burnetts and a few other AKA members and personal friends and acquaintences
                    at that time. It was so much fun in part because everything about getting
                    the club going was fresh and new... i.e. the name, our motto, our club song,
                    our club color, our kiting philosophy, etc.
                    We selected yellow because 1) it was a rediculous and rather mundane,
                    unclassy color... and unusual. and 2) in our yellow shirts, we could be
                    picked out of a crowd at conventions and on the flying field. In fact, part
                    of our reputation was based upon being, "those nice people in yellow." It
                    was part of what made us distinctive and everyone always arrived in their
                    yellow shirts so as to be identified as a Connectikiter. By the way, Paul
                    Dinice (still a member) came up with the name CONNECTIKITERS and it was
                    agreed that it would always be capitalized.

                    I just thought you might be interested in this little glance at club
                    history. We hope you have had a wonderful flying season with your families
                    and that everyone is genuinely having fun and feels included.

                    Vic and Bernie Walton
                  • Joylene Dinizio
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 13, 1999
                      It was great to hear from you, Vic & Bernie. For the
                      benefit of the club membership, I just want to
                      reinforce how much fun I have had over the years
                      wearing that red and yellow uniform of the
                      CONNECTIKITERS. Several years ago, I attended a kite
                      festival in Briston, England with a friend of mine
                      that was living in the UK at the time. We met up with
                      Tony and Linda Sparrow - and all four of us were in
                      "uniform." My friend, John, commented afterwards that
                      he had really enjoyed feeling a part of the festival
                      and thanked me for making him wear the "red & yellow."
                      We even sang the club song - several times, I
                      believe!!!

                      And so I come to the following conclusion:
                      - A uniform is not meant to make you blend in....
                      - It makes you part of something you want to be a part
                      of....
                      - Red & Yellow, Purple & Orange, Green & Pink....I
                      would wear any of these "unusual" combinations as long
                      as the act of doing so, identified me with a fine
                      bunch of people!!!

                      Thanks for the memories, Vic! Hope to see you soon!
                      -JOY