Group Chinese Dragon Kite purchase

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
      Hi, Ralph Reed is trying to get some folks together for a group purchase of
      100 ft long Chinese Dragon Kites... his message is below...

      Richard Amirault N1JDU Boston,
      MA, USA
      ramirault@... "Go Fly A Kite"
      http:// www.erols.com/ramirault

      Hey,

      Did you see the Chinese dragon kites that were being flown at Newport?
      Would you like a dragon that is bigger and longer?
      After talking to a Dragon kite importer, he is willing to sell us 10 (
      ten )
      one-hundred foot long, 10-inch disk dragons.

      We have to commit to at least ten of these kites.

      Look on Tony Heeschen's web page to see how cool the 60 footers are.

      Tony's home page is
      http://home.maine.rr.com/noreasters/

      The page with the Dragons are

      http://home.maine.rr.com/noreasters/july%20fly%202003.htm

      A similar kite can be found on Big City Kites

      http://www.bigcitykites.com/chinadragonkites.shtml

      The kites are bamboo and silk, with 10 inch disks
      with the feathers and all that. All hand painted

      Ready to fly.

      It does NOT come in a box, or come with flying line.

      I found 2 boxes at Wal-Mart and Home Deport that fit the head and disks
      perfectly.

      If you are at all interested, please e-mail me and I'll give you
      more details.

      Ralph Reed

      rreed3@...

      =====================================
    • vbwalton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
        Dear ConnectiKITERS,

        Bernie and I as founders of the ConnectiKITERS participated in many
        discussions regarding club purchases. I understand that the club has tried to
        move ahead while preserving the original purpose, values and spirit that we
        tried so hard to establish. Our thanks to you all. Much of that has,
        thankfully, been preserved.

        Certainly we are not in a position to influence decisions by the
        majority and will of the club as a whole. However, I would strongly urge you NOT to
        make a group purchase of ANY kite or kiting paraphernalia unless it is
        intended to be given away.

        We urge you to carefully think through who would actually OWN the
        kite(s). Who would choose and make the purchase? Where would it physically be
        kept? If that person left the club to whom would the kite go? If it was decided
        that the kite should be given away, or sold, etc. who would make that decision
        and to whom would it go, etc. We are telling you that this is a wonderful
        sounding idea, but, it is also A CAN OF WORMS. Who shall decide that the club's
        money and funds should be spent this way?

        If the club is in a spending mood (which is fine) I can think of many
        other ways to spend money that would benefit the good name of ConnectiKITERS,
        and or support the advancemnet of kiting than purchasing a "killer kite."
        From the beginning, we tried to steer away from "competition" and keep the club
        focused on collaboration, cooperation, helpfulness and a spirit of giving. I
        sure would like the club to be know for who we are and what we give and
        contribute to kiting than who has the biggest and best kite in the air. Of course the
        decision would be up to the membership.

        By the way, we recently saw the Sound Winds Tape on local televison. I
        must say I was very proud of you all. Supporting that project is such a
        wonderful thing. Our special thanks to all those in the club who volunteered and
        who helped. It was great seeing all that yellow and red out there on the field.

        Vic and Bernie Walton
        Founders

      • Larry Zaleski
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
          I think you mis-interpreted the 'group' in the referenced request.
          I believe that the parties involved are looking for enough individual
          purchasers to be able to get the quantity price, not for a club to buy
          as a group.
          Larry

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
            From: <vbwalton@...>
            Subject: Re: [connectikiters] Group Chinese Dragon Kite purchase
            (snip)

            > Certainly we are not in a position to influence decisions by the
            > majority and will of the club as a whole. However, I would strongly urge
            you NOT to
            > make a group purchase of ANY kite or kiting paraphernalia unless it is
            > intended to be given away.
            >
            > We urge you to carefully think through who would actually OWN the
            > kite(s). Who would choose and make the purchase? Where would it physically
            be
            > kept? If that person left the club to whom would the kite go? If it was
            decided
            > that the kite should be given away, or sold, etc. who would make that
            decision
            > and to whom would it go, etc. We are telling you that this is a wonderful
            > sounding idea, but, it is also A CAN OF WORMS. Who shall decide that the
            club's
            > money and funds should be spent this way?

            This was not an offer for the club to purchase kites. It was an offer for
            individual kite flyers. If the club, as a club, would like to purchase one,
            or more, that would be up to the membership, but Ralph is looking to find 10
            (or more) individual kite flyers who would like to buy one of these kites.

            (snip)
            > By the way, we recently saw the Sound Winds Tape on local
            televison. I
            > must say I was very proud of you all. Supporting that project is such a
            > wonderful thing. Our special thanks to all those in the club who
            volunteered and
            > who helped. It was great seeing all that yellow and red out there on the
            field.

            Thank you

            www.erols.com/ramirault "Go Fly A Kite"
          • vbwalton@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
              Dear Larry,

              Well, that definitely IS a different impression and I am so happy
              about that. I do hope that you appreciate what I was saying though. It really does
              open the door for big problems. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I recall
              that one of the problems we had way back at the beginning was having some
              money in the treasury and, besides T-shirts and pins, etc. not really knowing
              what to do with it. We also had a lot a controversy about how the Club should
              handle the money it had. It was a healthy discussion because, in many ways, I
              think it contributes to defining what the club is all about.

              Good luck on your fund raising and I hope you can bring it off. I
              sincerely had no intent to do harm to anyone and was only offering a comment
              about Club functioning that I thought should be paid attention to. I'd appreciate
              it if you would pass the word about the misunderstanding. I would, but I don't
              really have any idea about who might be interested in my reaction, retraction
              and point of view.

              Vic