sugaring

  • itsmebev2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2011
      Larry & the grandgirls hung the buckets yesterday.
      I think today he'll have to go out and empty the snow out of them.
      hoping for more syrup this year than last.
      It's a lot of work for a couple of gallons!
      it's like our 4th or 5th yr.Fun when all goes well.
    • Gjhilliard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2011
        Bev, It is a lot of work. 40 gallons of liquid for one gallon of syrup.
        What a great experience for the grandchildren. We have a sugar shack in town
        and when I drive up that street, when there sugaring off, my mouth
        automatically starts watering for blueberry pancakes and real maple syrup. We had
        14 inches of snow yesterday and about five inches today. It is still snowing
        very lightly. I keep telling myself that this is the snow melt that will
        nourish my daffodils when they come up in June or July or perhaps August at
        the rate we are going. gail

      • Sportsman, Sheriff, Big Les
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2011
          Gail , we went to an area event ,The D'iberville Smoke Off and BBQ in D'iberville yesterday and I noticed our first Daffodills IN FULL BLOOM ! ! (Feb 26th) The friend that I help by towing his equiptment trailers , won First Place for his Pulled Pork, and Fifth place for BBQed Pork Chops. Look him up on the computer , his name is Terry Welch of Long Beach Ms. His site is BBQWORLD.COM . He is the Author and Publisher of the BBQ World Magazine..
          Bev , I can almost smell the Maple Syrup Simmering in the pot! ! !
          It must be nice to sit down to a breakfast of Blur Berry Pancakes with the home brewed syrup.................
          Casketdudes going to be Forty Eight next Sunday (3-6 @# ? ) Its easy for me to remember his age --he's just Twenty yrs Younger than Me.I always told him that we grew up together !!
        • Gjhilliard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2011
            We had 14 inches of snow Friday, 5 inches Sunday, three inches Monday. I
            have serious doubts that I will see my daffodils any time soon. It was 10
            below last night, and should be 15 below tonight. Have I mentioned more than a
            hundred times, I am learning to dislike snow more each passing day.
            Blessed Be, g