WOW, ever feel alone?

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2006
      I don't like the odds, and that kayak isn't big enough or strong
      enough for me. How about you, would you like to sitting there in that
      kayak?
      Still SLAMIN

      The image above displays, according to its caption, a
      kayaker "sitting in a 3.8-metre sea kayak and watching a four-metre
      great white approach." This photograph is genuine and was taken from
      a September 2005 Africa Geographic article titled "Shark Detectives,"
      about researchers studying Great White sharks off the coast of South
      Africa. As the article described the circumstances under which this
      picture was snapped:
      Sitting in a 3.8-metre sea kayak and watching a four-metre great
      white approach you is a fairly tense experience. Although we had
      extensively tested the sharks' reactions to an empty kayak and had
      observed no signs of aggression, this gave us little comfort as we
      eyed a great white heading straight for us, albeit slowly. Just a
      metre or so from the craft it veered off, circled and slowly
      approached from behind. It did this several times, occasionally
      lifting its head out of the water to get a better look. Then it lost
      interest, and as it continued on its way we were able to follow a
      short distance behind. Once we'd come to terms with having nothing
      between ourselves and a four-metre shark except a thin layer of
      plastic, our kayak made an ideal research platform for observing
      great white behaviour in shallow water. Its advantages are twofold:
      it is inconspicuous and appears not to cause the sharks to alter
      their behaviour for long, and it allows us to watch them in a natural
      situation, as it is not necessary to attract them to us with food.