Skip to search.

RE: [Connecticut Friends] moving to CT

  • Mary
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi Luda,

      I'm not sure Manchester is known for a particular industry. There's a
      smattering of 'typical' companies including engineering firms, law firms,
      manufacturing, etc. There is a huge shopping area that people come from all
      over the state to shop at.

      There's one hospital (Manchester Memorial) and the accompanying doctor and
      medical service offices that tend to surround a hospital. They have a
      fairly good library with a branch.

      Manchester also has a community college. Studies in international relations
      might be useful here.

      I do believe there are a few agricultural operations in Manchester.

      Manchester also has a dense residential population, so there are a lot of
      general public service oriented businesses (gyms, video stores, etc.).

      I'll keep my eyes open, and if I see anything that may be useful to you,
      I'll let you know.

      Hartford, on the other hand, still has insurance industry businesses
      although a lot of the companies have moved away. There's still quite a bit
      of manufacturing going on in the Hartford area although many of them have
      moved away also because of the taxes.

      Hartford is struggling to save itself from urban decay. The last governor
      did a good job of trying to restore life in Connecticut cities; however, he
      was recently booted out.

      The biotechnology industry is growing in Connecticut; however, most of those
      businesses are in southern Connecticut, especially in New Haven, which is
      about 45 minutes, in good traffic, from Manchester.

      I also understand that the computer industry is expected to do well in
      southern Connecticut, too, in support of the businesses that support offices
      in New York City.

      Of course, there is still a shortage of good teachers.

      Here are some website you may find useful:

      http://www.bls.gov/emp/emptab3.htm
      http://www.bls.gov/emp/home.htm
      http://www.bls.gov/oco/
      http://tinyurl.com/532ct
      http://tinyurl.com/4384w

      Mary

      We don't have any children so public schools are not a huge concern. What
      type of jobs are there in Manchester? I have a BA in liberal studies,
      international relations.

      luda
    • ludmila matson

        We don't have any children so public schools are not a huge concern. What
        type of jobs are there in Manchester? I have a BA in liberal studies,
        international relations.

        luda

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        A good politician under democracy is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.

        ludmila

      • Mary