CHAT: Cracked.com article about conlangs

  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2014
      Cracked.com, the well-known humour website, has just published an article
      about conlangs:
      http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-people-who-invented-entire-languages-from-scratch/

      Interestingly, I don't follow Cracked, and I just went to the site by
      chance, and they just happened to publish that article today :P. Talk about
      coincidence :).

      That said, I'm not sure I agree with the choices the author made. David
      should by right have been mentioned in there...

      Anyway, do have a look.
      --
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
      President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)

      Personal Website: http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
      Personal Tumblr: http://christophoronomicon.tumblr.com/
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2014
        Hallo conlangers!

        On 26.08.2014 15:18, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:

        > Cracked.com, the well-known humour website, has just published an article
        > about conlangs:
        > http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-people-who-invented-entire-languages-from-scratch/
        >
        > Interestingly, I don't follow Cracked, and I just went to the site by
        > chance, and they just happened to publish that article today :P. Talk about
        > coincidence :).

        I don't follow Cracked regularly, either, but this is quite a good one.
        I should perhaps better start following Cracked: this is the second hit
        out of two peeps into it (the other one was an article about progressive
        rock).

        > That said, I'm not sure I agree with the choices the author made. David
        > should by right have been mentioned in there...

        Well, the conlangs featured in it are of great historical importance.
        Tolkien's Elvish languages were the first major diachronic artlangs.
        Klingon was the first conlang for which Hollywood hired a linguist.
        Esperanto is the most important auxlang. Lojban is the #1 engelang.
        The Voynich manuscript is the most famous unreadable document in
        history (it is not certain yet whether it is an actual conlang, or
        just a cipher or merely meaningless gobbledegook, though). If I was
        to choose just five conlangs and do every branch of the art justice,
        I'd probably choose the same five. David is of course the most
        prominent conlanger *today*, but historically speaking, he just
        brought the currents of Elvish (naturalistic artlanging) and Klingon
        (professional language design on Hollywood's payroll) together.

        --
        ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
      • David Peterson
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26, 2014
          On Aug 26, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:

          > Klingon was the first conlang for which Hollywood hired a linguist.

          Not true. That would be Pakuni, for which Victoria Fromkin was hired. It predated Klingon by almost ten years. In fact, unless there are others we haven’t heard about, Pakuni is the first time anyone was ever paid to invent a language of any kind. Certainly that should be more noteworthy than Klingon if one had to choose one.

          David Peterson
          LCS Member Since 2007
          dave@...
          www.conlang.org
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2014
            Hallo conlangers!

            On 26.08.2014 21:05, David Peterson wrote:

            > On Aug 26, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Klingon was the first conlang for which Hollywood hired a linguist.
            > Not true. That would be Pakuni, for which Victoria Fromkin was hired. It predated Klingon by almost ten years. In fact, unless there are others we haven’t heard about, Pakuni is the first time anyone was ever paid to invent a language of any kind. Certainly that should be more noteworthy than Klingon if one had to choose one.

            Oh, I didn't know that. But certainly Klingon is better known than Pakuni.

            --
            ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
          • Garth Wallace
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2014
              On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:
              > Hallo conlangers!
              >

              > On 26.08.2014 15:18, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
              >
              >> Cracked.com, the well-known humour website, has just published an article
              >> about conlangs:
              >>
              >> http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-people-who-invented-entire-languages-from-scratch/
              >>
              >> Interestingly, I don't follow Cracked, and I just went to the site by
              >> chance, and they just happened to publish that article today :P. Talk
              >> about
              >> coincidence :).
              >

              > I don't follow Cracked regularly, either, but this is quite a good one.
              > I should perhaps better start following Cracked: this is the second hit
              > out of two peeps into it (the other one was an article about progressive
              > rock).
              >

              >> That said, I'm not sure I agree with the choices the author made. David
              >> should by right have been mentioned in there...
              >

              > Well, the conlangs featured in it are of great historical importance.
              > Tolkien's Elvish languages were the first major diachronic artlangs.
              > Klingon was the first conlang for which Hollywood hired a linguist.
              > Esperanto is the most important auxlang. Lojban is the #1 engelang.
              > The Voynich manuscript is the most famous unreadable document in
              > history (it is not certain yet whether it is an actual conlang, or
              > just a cipher or merely meaningless gobbledegook, though). If I was
              > to choose just five conlangs and do every branch of the art justice,
              > I'd probably choose the same five. David is of course the most
              > prominent conlanger *today*, but historically speaking, he just
              > brought the currents of Elvish (naturalistic artlanging) and Klingon
              > (professional language design on Hollywood's payroll) together.

              I really doubt they were selected to be a set of historically
              important examplars of particular types of conlangs. Cracked is a
              humor site; the criteria were probably "Can I write some jokes around
              this?" and "Is there enough variety that I'm not repeating my jokes?".
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26, 2014
                Hallo conlangers!

                On 26.08.2014 22:07, Garth Wallace wrote:

                > I really doubt they were selected to be a set of historically
                > important examplars of particular types of conlangs. Cracked is a
                > humor site; the criteria were probably "Can I write some jokes around
                > this?" and "Is there enough variety that I'm not repeating my jokes?".

                Just that. The languages were chosen because they are so prominent and many
                people have heard of them. A joke about a well-known conlang is more funny
                than one about an obscure one. Hence, the authors chose the most famous
                literary artlang (Elvish), the most famous Hollywood artlang (Klingon), the
                most famous auxlang (Esperanto), the most famous engelang (Lojban), and the
                most famous mysterious undeciphered book (the Voynich Manuscript).

                --
                ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
              • Jim Henry
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 26, 2014
                  On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:
                  > Just that. The languages were chosen because they are so prominent and many
                  > people have heard of them. A joke about a well-known conlang is more funny
                  > than one about an obscure one. Hence, the authors chose the most famous
                  > literary artlang (Elvish), the most famous Hollywood artlang (Klingon), the
                  > most famous auxlang (Esperanto), the most famous engelang (Lojban), and the
                  > most famous mysterious undeciphered book (the Voynich Manuscript).

                  I think they missed a bunch of possible jokes by not talking about
                  Pakuni and Land of the Lost, though. It (the show rather than the
                  language) is, if I recall correctly, inherently silly in a way that
                  Star Trek (usually) isn't.

                  --
                  Jim Henry
                  http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 27, 2014
                    The article is quite good, but I'm again amused by the misplacement of the Silmarillion: It's not Tolkien's 'later work' compared to the LotR, the manuscript lay around waiting to be published the whole time, even before the LotR was conceived.. In another article I read it was called a 'prequel to the LotR' which is just completely wrong terminology altogether.
                  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 28, 2014
                      OK, I get the impression the redaction team of Cracked somehow realised
                      they snubbed David just a bit, because just a day later he appears in
                      another article, and number 1 no less!
                      http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-movie-jokes-you-missed-if-you-only-speak-english_p2/

                      Or this could just be coincidence ;).