ConWorkShop

  • Julanga
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24, 2014
      There is a new conlanging website:

      http://conworkshop.info

      Someone mentioned it at CBB and ZBB, but I haven't seen any mention of it
      here. So I mention it.

      -- Julanga
    • Dustinger Batailleur
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 24, 2014
        I've been trying to add a language for the past 10 minutes, but it keeps
        telling me that my alphanumeric 3 letter code isn't 3 characters long, no
        matter what I type! I also can't access the help files or report, since the
        site constantly redirects me to the "add a language" page.

        Has anybody else had this problem?

        On 24 August 2014 11:41, Julanga <ajulanga@...> wrote:

        > There is a new conlanging website:
        >
        > http://conworkshop.info
        >
        > Someone mentioned it at CBB and ZBB, but I haven't seen any mention of it
        > here. So I mention it.
        >
        > -- Julanga

      • Emanuelo Arbaro
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 24, 2014
          Yes, I have exactly the same problem.

          > I've been trying to add a language for the past 10 minutes, but it keeps
          > telling me that my alphanumeric 3 letter code isn't 3 characters long, no
          > matter what I type! I also can't access the help files or report, since the
          > site constantly redirects me to the "add a language" page.
          >
          > Has anybody else had this problem?
          >

          > On 24 August 2014 11:41, Julanga <ajulanga@...> wrote:
          >
          > > There is a new conlanging website:
          > >
          > > http://conworkshop.info
          > >
          > > Someone mentioned it at CBB and ZBB, but I haven't seen any mention of it
          > > here. So I mention it.
          > >
          > > -- Julanga

        • Julanga
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 24, 2014
            I have reported the issue with a link to your message. Hopefully the
            problem gets solved.

            > I've been trying to add a language for the past 10 minutes, but it keeps
            > telling me that my alphanumeric 3 letter code isn't 3 characters long, no
            > matter what I type! I also can't access the help files or report, since the
            > site constantly redirects me to the "add a language" page.
            >
            > Has anybody else had this problem?
            >

            > On 24 August 2014 11:41, Julanga <ajulanga@...> wrote:
            >
            > > There is a new conlanging website:
            > >
            > > http://conworkshop.info
            > >
            > > Someone mentioned it at CBB and ZBB, but I haven't seen any mention of it
            > > here. So I mention it.
            > >
            > > -- Julanga

          • Dustinger Batailleur
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24, 2014
              The problem no longer exists, I am now able to create a new language.

              On 24 August 2014 12:50, Julanga <ajulanga@...> wrote:

              > I have reported the issue with a link to your message. Hopefully the
              > problem gets solved.

              > > I've been trying to add a language for the past 10 minutes, but it keeps
              > > telling me that my alphanumeric 3 letter code isn't 3 characters long, no
              > > matter what I type! I also can't access the help files or report, since
              > the
              > > site constantly redirects me to the "add a language" page.
              > >
              > > Has anybody else had this problem?
              > >

              > > On 24 August 2014 11:41, Julanga <ajulanga@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > There is a new conlanging website:
              > > >
              > > > http://conworkshop.info
              > > >
              > > > Someone mentioned it at CBB and ZBB, but I haven't seen any mention of
              > it
              > > > here. So I mention it.
              > > >
              > > > -- Julanga

            • Alex Fink
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 25, 2014
                On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:16:17 -0400, Dustinger Batailleur <dustfinger42@...> wrote:

                >I've been trying to add a language for the past 10 minutes, but it keeps
                >telling me that my alphanumeric 3 letter code isn't 3 characters long, no
                >matter what I type! I also can't access the help files or report, since the
                >site constantly redirects me to the "add a language" page.

                Oh dear, neither of those impress me on the design front. The very premise behind language codes is fine in the real world where languages are something there aren't constantly more of every day, but it transfers very badly to conlanging -- would you try to give e.g. every song a unique three-character code? And to take it as a required primary key, and require the user to specify it! That'll be a bother as the number of languages approaches 36^3 and everyone has to take repeated stabs in the dark to find an unused one.

                Otherwise, looks like a fun little thing, but I wonder whether it's really got the flexibility it ought to have. I played around with it a little while and have mixed feelings.
                The phone*ic inventory gadget is perhaps better than it seems, having the secondary articulations hidden away and allowing arbitrary di- and triphthongs, but it doesn't e.g. allow me to analyse tones as separate units or have other phonemes with no segmental realisation. I didn't learn the built-in sound change applier but that seems a useful thing to have. Even with it, it's not clear whether their orthography tools would stretch to contain a nontrivial orthography, even if basically alphabetic (e.g. French? Thai? Tibetan?).
                The design choice in the dictionary part that definitions should be as short as possible, and contained in some standard list, seems a bad one. What if my words have wider or narrower semantic spread than their list of standard glosses contains, or, well, basically anything else interesting about their usage? If I had to use such a dictionary tool I think I'd quickly find myself using the 'notes' field as the actual gloss field and the 'definition' field as some kind of coarse index to it.
                And then the grammar tools seem to be just morphology. Is there any provision for syntax, aside from the free-form writeups under "articles"?

                Alex
              • Daniel Bowman
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 25, 2014
                  > The design choice in the dictionary part that definitions should be as
                  > short as possible, and contained in some standard list, seems a bad one.
                  > What if my words have wider or narrower semantic spread than their list of
                  > standard glosses contains, or, well, basically anything else interesting
                  > about their usage? If I had to use such a dictionary tool I think I'd
                  > quickly find myself using the 'notes' field as the actual gloss field and
                  > the 'definition' field as some kind of coarse index to it.

                  Yes, that stopped me cold when I was considering importing the Angosey
                  dictionary. I had trouble with the grammatical category options from the
                  get-go.
                • Pete Bleackley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 25, 2014
                    My problem is more basic - it doesn't let you browse existing articles without logging in.

                    Let's be charitable and say it's early days.

                    Pete Bleackley
                    The Fantastical Devices of Pete The Mad Scientist - http://fantasticaldevices.blogspot.com