Re: TV ad annoyances

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2014
      I've heard Humira the same way as you, but it doesn't bother me much.

      Those companies make up whatever names they want, and they seem to make up
      the pronunciations with little or no regard for the spelling. ISV? Hardly.

      stevo

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2014
        On 15/08/2014 07:15, MorphemeAddict wrote:
        > I've heard Humira the same way as you, but it doesn't
        > bother me much.

        It doesn't bother me either - I hit the mute button as soon
        as the commercials start :)

        n 15/08/2014 03:33, Roger Mills wrote:
        [snip]

        > 2. A drug for rheumatroid arthritis is being pushed,
        > called _Humira_. Now, my native intuition says that _i_
        > ought to be [i[ or [I] as in "pier"-- right? But the
        > announcers call it [hjumEr\a] very clearly with the
        > vowel of "pear".
        >
        > Does anyone else watch enough TV to have caught these?

        I've _seen_ the Trivago advert but haven't a clue what's
        being said. I don't ever recall seeing one for Humira, and
        I certainly wouldn't hear how 'twas said.

        It ain't the pronunciations that annoy me - just the
        interruption to the program I'm watching. ;)

        [J.G. Hamann, 1760]
        "A mind that thinks at its own expense
        will always interfere with language".