Oppia - an alternative to Duolingo?

  • Gleki Arxokuna
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2014
      Nobody mentioned this before.

      https://www.oppia.org/learn#/Languages

      Oppia is potentially an alternative to other language learning tools (like
      Memrise and Duolingo) but it is open-sauce, allows exporting the whole
      course to handy formats and of course you can use to to teach any language,
      not just those who are selected by the host.
    • Leonardo Castro
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2014
        Interesting!

        Does it have only a lesson of Latin so far? Is it the first open source or
        wiki multi-language learning platform?

        Livemocha was very useful to me until they changed its interface to a more
        "modern" one and stopped Linux support, then I moved to Duolingo.

        Até mais!

        Leonardo

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2014

          > Interesting!
          >
          > Does it have only a lesson of Latin so far? Is it the first open source or
          > wiki multi-language learning platform?

          I'm not sure if there are other open sauce platforms like this. Oppia is
          still in beta but i can see all the main functionality that is usually
          needed. It's not a wiki though.

          > Livemocha was very useful to me until they changed its interface to a more
          > "modern" one and stopped Linux support, then I moved to Duolingo.

          Those are close sourced.

          > Até mais!
          >
          > Leonardo

          > > Nobody mentioned this before.
          > >
          > > https://www.oppia.org/learn#/Languages
          > >
          > > Oppia is potentially an alternative to other language learning tools
          > (like
          > > Memrise and Duolingo) but it is open-sauce, allows exporting the whole
          > > course to handy formats and of course you can use to to teach any
          > language,
          > > not just those who are selected by the host.

        • Florian Weps
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2014
            On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:28:55AM +0400, Gleki Arxokuna wrote:
            > Nobody mentioned this before.
            >
            > https://www.oppia.org/learn#/Languages
            >
            > Oppia is potentially an alternative to other language learning tools (like
            > Memrise and Duolingo) but it is open-sauce, allows exporting the whole
            > course to handy formats and of course you can use to to teach any language,
            > not just those who are selected by the host.

            Sadly, it's part of the Borg walled garden - er, google. I can't even log in.

            Too bad. Sounded promising.

            Cheers,
            Florian
          • Gleki Arxokuna
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17, 2014

              > On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:28:55AM +0400, Gleki Arxokuna wrote:
              > > Nobody mentioned this before.
              > >
              > > https://www.oppia.org/learn#/Languages
              > >
              > > Oppia is potentially an alternative to other language learning tools
              > (like
              > > Memrise and Duolingo) but it is open-sauce, allows exporting the whole
              > > course to handy formats and of course you can use to to teach any
              > language,
              > > not just those who are selected by the host.
              >
              > Sadly, it's part of the Borg walled garden - er, google. I can't even log
              > in.
              >
              > Too bad. Sounded promising.

              The code is open. No need to rely on their website infected by googles.

              https://code.google.com/p/oppia/source/browse/?repo=downloads