A part-time lurker speaks

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2014
      Salvete omnes!

      I have taken a peek to see what's going on but some ghastly
      stuff on "OFF TOPIC: Latin translation request" really made
      me shudder!! Perhaps I'd better say no more than that
      Siva's "ad auxilium petendum" is spot on.

      But what I am working on is:
      http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Britannic/vowels.html

      I did suggest to someone that I discuss this on the list;
      but, as he pointed out, it could well give rise to YAEPT ;)

      Also, as I am trying to avoid bogoism, I may say something
      that upsets a bogolanger, as I did a month or so back. I
      don't want to get side-tracked again.

      One person's private reply has prevented me from being "too
      modern-linguist, phoneme-aware, phonetics-aware
      conlanger-wanting-to-make-soundchange-visible"! Quite right
      he was!

      It's no trivial task steering between the Scylla of
      "phone*ics aware conlanger wanting to make sound-change
      visible" and the Charybdis of "bogoism", while keeping the
      thing (more or less) plausible. I now see why bogolangers
      like their Grand Master Plans ;)

      But I would welcome any serious comments from any who are
      *genuinely* interested - but to me personally please (I'm
      still NOMAIL - I may come back in full-time lurk mode next
      in the next week or so). I'm thinking of setting up a Blog
      for this, but haven't done so at the moment.

      [J.G. Hamann, 1760]
      "A mind that thinks at its own expense
      will always interfere with language".