Conlang Lessons (was: Really good examples of conlangs online?)

  • Puey McCleary
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2014
      Roger, if you're interested in creating some lessons for Kash, perhaps you
      may want to borrow the general outline of some primer book that you have
      and have used. For instance, you've mentioned an Indonesian grammar book,
      and given Kash's general structure, this may be a good place to start.

      From taking a glance at your webpage, I imagine some sort of College Level
      Textbook on Kash that may go a little like this (but keep in mind that I'm
      making this up as I go along, so it's not terribly organized):

      Introduction:
      The Kash Language
      The Alphabet, transliteration thereof
      Basic phonology and stress

      Unit One
      Vocabulary -- How are you?
      Lesson 1 -- Animate Nouns, Inanimate Nouns
      Lesson 2 -- Personal Pronouns, some more Sandhi rules
      Lesson 3 -- Word order, some simple verbs
      Time Out: A look at Kash society

      Unit Two
      Vocbulary: -- A Kash Home
      Lesson 4 -- More on verbs
      Lesson 5 -- Derived Nouns
      Lesson 6 -- Negative, the imperative
      Time Out: Kash family

      Unit Three:
      Vocabulary: At the breakfast table
      Lesson 7 -- Compound words, reduplication, pejoratives, honorifics ...
      Lesson 8 -- Interrogative Pronouns
      Lesson 9 -- Something with verbs
      Time out: Kash food

      Unit Four:
      Vocabulary: At the market
      Lesson 10 -- Auxiliary Verbs
      Lesson 11 -- Reflexive, Relative Pronouns
      Lesson 12 -- Different types of verbs
      Time out: More stuff

      Each unit will have a theme so that the student can learn similar types of
      words (like parts of the body), plus there is some sort cultural snippet to
      teach about the Kash people. Each lesson will have exercises, and there
      should probably be a reading or so ... but really, I'm making this up as I
      go along.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2014
        OK, thanks, sounds feasible, mostly....:-(((((  For technical reasons, I think I'll give the alphabet short shrift and not use it in the lessons, however.

        I think I still have my beginning Indonesian book, and will look at it again.

        This may take a while, however. You may recall, I'm going to Europe on April 27, for around a month plus.... When I return I'll probably be so strapped for cash** that I won't be going anywhere or doing anything exciting, so will have plenty of time to work on it.

        -------------------------

        **I almost typed _Kash_ ha ha.

        On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:21 PM, Puey McCleary <pueymccleary@...> wrote:

        Roger, if you're interested in creating some lessons for Kash, perhaps you
        may want to borrow the general outline of some primer book that you have
        and have used.  For instance, you've mentioned an Indonesian grammar book,
        and given Kash's general structure, this may be a good place to start.

        From taking a glance at your webpage, I imagine some sort of College Level

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2014
          I would suggest your doing just what you do on your Kash website -- just
          have a brief section (as the introduction) where you present the Alphabet,
          explain its transliteration, and then use the transliteration for the rest
          of the primer. Perhaps for the last lessons you can have longer readings
          in the Kash writing system -- the wedding ceremony, for instance, and some
          poems, but for the most part, I'd keep things simple. The lessons can
          really be as simple as you want them to be.

          In fact, you can even use your grammar to bootstrap the lessons. Create
          some new files -- label them Lesson One, Lesson Two, etc -- and chop up a
          copy of your grammar into smaller bits and sprinkle them into these files.
          Make sure there's some sort of logical progression, and a good balance of
          verby stuff and nouny stuff (and simpler things at the beginning), and then
          rewrite what you have. The trick, though, when you rewrite it, is just to
          keep the bare minimum that a student needs to know, as well as keeping in
          mind what vocabulary, what irregular words, and what forms have already
          been introduced. The full story is always going to be in the original
          grammar, of course -- the student doesn't need to worry about some
          irregular formation that only exists when playing Risk on a Tuesday night
          with one of the Gwr.

          Perhaps the Kash are more "Monopoly" people than "Risk" people. At least
          then, when they pass Go, they won't be so Kash-strapped for money ...

          I would try to think of a Gwr or a Lañ-Lañ pun ... but it's too early in
          the morning for that.

          Apropos of nothing, By the way, I've always liked how Taruven has a word
          for Dyson Sphere -- ksānyélla. It just makes me happy.​