language completeness

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10 11:00 PM
      I've seen the issue of language completeness come up on this more than
      once, but I don't remember any definitive definition for the phrase.

      I think a language could be called complete if it has a grammar that needs
      no extensions, and is capable of easily acquiring new words for missing
      concepts.

      Too simplistic? Thoughts?

      stevo
    • Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10 11:46 PM
        What do you mean no extentions?

        Pen name:
        Mellissa Green
        Blog

        www.theworldofyemora.wordpress.com

        Twitter
        @GreenNovelsLive

        ---
      • MorphemeAddict
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10 11:55 PM
          I'm not sure, but maybe an example will help.
          If a language has a way of talking about things that happened already,
          things that are happening right now, and things that haven't happened yet,
          then tense in that language could be considered complete. All possibilities
          have been accounted for.

          stevo

          On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 2:46 AM, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews <
          goldyemoran@...> wrote:

          > What do you mean no extentions?
          >
          > Pen name:
          > Mellissa Green
          > Blog
          >
          > www.theworldofyemora.wordpress.com
          >
          > Twitter
          > @GreenNovelsLive
          >

          > ---
          > protection is active.

        • C. Brickner
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11 7:40 AM
            I wonder if the concept of completeness can really be applied to a language. Languages are, after all, works in progress. Nevertheless, I consider Senjecas to be "complete" in that it does all that I want it to do at the present time. In the future, I may discover a concept or an object that I can't express in Senjecas, so I'll have to find a word. Or maybe a grammatical nuance will need a way to be expressed.

            Charlie

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11 9:15 AM
              Ok, makes sense.

              Pen name:
              Mellissa Green
              Blog

              www.theworldofyemora.wordpress.com

              Twitter
              @GreenNovelsLive

              ---
            • Gleki Arxokuna
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 12 4:29 AM
                A bunch of conlang test sentences will do the trick imo.