Dimensional Script - Update March 2014

  • Matthew DeBlock
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9 4:45 PM
      Ayo,

      I updated the Dscript Intro PDF. added some new examples, graphics and sections.

      Still fresh so if you notice any typos please point out. Just finished and uploaded but been up all night and its 7:30 am here in shanghai so brain not now work so good ;)

      http://www.dscript.org/dscript.pdf
    • Guilherme Santos
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9 6:13 PM
        I feel like learning how to write in that just because if feels like
        awfully hard to read afterwards

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10 10:04 AM
          hehe.. actually not so much...

          especially once you get into it.. your mind doesn’t read words letter by letter. ton of studies have shown your mind recognizes key elements and then "guesses" itself. I find I am already reading the words as if they were "glyphs" for all the most common words...

          of course if I switch up he writing form for a word it slows me down. but even that, I find my mind is quickly learning tp adjust and recognize new forms "automatically" :)

          akin to the classic study:

          Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
        • Matthew DeBlock
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10 10:14 AM
            oh... and yes im aware of tha the word scramble is a bit of a "hoax" in that you cant actually FULLY randomly scramble. but you can scramble to some degree and that shows that we are somehow filling in blanks and recognizing patterns as opposed to reading letters and referencing an index.
          • Matthew DeBlock
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10 10:18 AM
              it is however, VERY HARD to OCR or turn into a font

              it works quite easily for human minds.
              but computers hate it,

              OCR requires insanely more processing power than 1d script(eg. standard latin alphabet)
              and a font either requires a glyph per word, or complex dynamic vector generation software

              http://www.dscript.org/dscript.pdf
            • Sai
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11 12:46 AM
                What exactly do you mean by "2D"? Is it anything more than, say,
                Hangul or Chinese hanzi (neither of which I would describe as "2D"
                writing systems?

                - Sai

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 12 2:10 PM
                  What exactly do you mean by "2D"? Is it anything more than, say,
                  Hangul or Chinese hanzi (neither of which I would describe as "2D"
                  writing systems?

                  - Sai
                  ------------

                  I think we covered this before, but none-the-less, a quick run down. (if i explain poorly its cause this is a rush job, just have a look at the graphics in the manual, it is explained very clearly with the use of visual aides).

                  Chinese is not "true 2D" because the character are still fixed in size and dimension, moreover they are just index glyphs and sequential in 1D, there is only memorization, inventing you own glyphs is not practical as a means of communication, Chinese is "no longer a logo graphic language" it would not have any true meaning(there are only remnants of a logo graphic language now).

                  Dscript however,

                  The string of letters is not "stuck" on a 1D linear plane.
                  Most languages, even English, have calligrams that attempt this but they tend to sacrifice one or more of the following
                  a)character distinctiveness,
                  b)clarity of reading sequence
                  c)spacial efficiency

                  Dscript is designed to 'break off of" the 1D restrictions as much as possible, while keeping other elements as optimized as possible and legible
                  Simply put,
                  I define a Dscript 2D writing system by its key characteristics of
                  a)2D freedom of the cursive string (can bend and curl in 2D without loosing information)
                  b)forking(probably most important is the ability for the string to fork allowing more creative use of space)
                  c)letters inside of letters(enclosed spaces can be filled with letters)

                  **and simple rules for reading the higher dimensions(forks, letters inside letters) as a 1D string. I prefer, in order of priority, Top-Bottom, Left->Right, Outside->Inside, Shortest side chain -> longest side chain
                  ***the "simple rules above" are needed so that the 2D elements can be used on 1D text .

                  This creates a basic writing system capable of high efficiency and flexibility in 2D, also providing a fundamental platform easily developed for advanced 2D application.
                  eg. I have been toying with version for mapping logic and software code.
                  Also been toying with a game ideas.
                  eg.A page of text, all interconnected, a giant mangled web, the game is a)to build mangled webs with as possible possible legible "paths", and b)to find as many paths in a web as you can
                  Yes there are already systems for that, but I like re-inventing the wheel :)

                  for example :
                  UNLWS us a 2D LANGUAGE with a , necessary of course, 2D non-alphabetical(ideographic?) writing system
                  Dscript is a pat form for alphabetical 2D writing
                • Matthew DeBlock
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12 2:14 PM
                    oops when I say "refer to the manual" I mean the "Dscript intro PDF".

                    the "Dscript manual" is long outdated, but a full "manual and index" is a great undertaking that takes quite some time. will hopefully have an updated one soon

                    Dscript intro PDF: http://dscript.org/dscript.pdf
                    Matt
                    ---

                    What exactly do you mean by "2D"? Is it anything more than, say,
                    Hangul or Chinese hanzi (neither of which I would describe as "2D"
                    writing systems?

                    - Sai

                    [Respose to above question by Sai]