CHAT: young San Francisco bay area conlanger burned in bus attack

  • Garth Wallace
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2013
    • James Kane
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 9, 2013
        Wow that is horrific! I'm glad they're okay and hope they make a good
        recovery. It's great to see they got so much support from their
        community.

        James

        --
        (This is my signature.)
      • Sai
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2013
          See also more detail @ http://www.berkeleyside.com/tag/luke-sasha-fleischman/

          … though *cringe* at both outlets' improper use of Sasha's birthname
          and the whole "born male" bit.

          - Sai

          On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM, James Kane <kanejam@...> wrote:
          > Wow that is horrific! I'm glad they're okay and hope they make a good
          > recovery. It's great to see they got so much support from their
          > community.
          >
          > James
          >
          > On 11/9/13, Garth Wallace <gwalla@...> wrote:
          >> http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Teen-whose-skirt-was-set-ablaze-begins-surgery-4961732.php
          >>

          > --
          > (This is my signature.)
        • Tony Harris
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2013
            Society (at least modern "civilized" society) has a tough time figuring
            out how to deal with anyone whose internal gender identity doesn't
            conform to the binary norm and/or does not conform to official
            declarations made at birth based on external characteristics.

            I had seen this in the news but had not seen that Sasha was also a
            conlanger. Is Sasha a member of this list or of the ZBB or another
            community? I see where they have shut the fund to contribute to medical
            expenses because they made the $20,000 goal. Glad they made the goal,
            but wonder if that's going to be enough.

            Thank you for sharing that article.

            On 11/09/2013 05:08 AM, Sai wrote:
            > See also more detail @ http://www.berkeleyside.com/tag/luke-sasha-fleischman/
            >
            > … though *cringe* at both outlets' improper use of Sasha's birthname
            > and the whole "born male" bit.
            >
            > - Sai
            >
            > On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM, James Kane <kanejam@...> wrote:
            >> Wow that is horrific! I'm glad they're okay and hope they make a good
            >> recovery. It's great to see they got so much support from their
            >> community.
            >>
            >> James
            >>
            >> On 11/9/13, Garth Wallace <gwalla@...> wrote:
            >>> http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Teen-whose-skirt-was-set-ablaze-begins-surgery-4961732.php
            >>>

            >> --
            >> (This is my signature.)
          • Casey Borders
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2013
              I can't imagine what would make someone think that setting a person (or any
              living thing) on fire is a reasonable thing to do! I know the perpetrator
              is just a boy but I can't help but hope that he is severely punished as
              this incident has to indicate a truly deep-seeded, irreparable flaw.
              On Nov 9, 2013 12:59 AM, "Garth Wallace" <gwalla@...> wrote:

              > http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Teen-whose-skirt-was-set-ablaze-begins-surgery-4961732.php

            • MorphemeAddict
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2013
                Punishment for the perp might not be as effective as therapy and
                counselling. "Irreparable flaw"? You might as well shoot him, then.

                stevo

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2013
                  OK.
                  On Nov 9, 2013 3:58 PM, "MorphemeAddict" <lytlesw@...> wrote:

                  > Punishment for the perp might not be as effective as therapy and
                  > counselling. "Irreparable flaw"? You might as well shoot him, then.
                  >
                  > stevo
                  >

                  > On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Casey Borders <thebeast.13@...
                  > >wrote:
                  >
                  > > I can't imagine what would make someone think that setting a person (or
                  > any
                  > > living thing) on fire is a reasonable thing to do! I know the
                  > perpetrator
                  > > is just a boy but I can't help but hope that he is severely punished as
                  > > this incident has to indicate a truly deep-seeded, irreparable flaw.
                  > > On Nov 9, 2013 12:59 AM, "Garth Wallace" <gwalla@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Teen-whose-skirt-was-set-ablaze-begins-surgery-4961732.php

                • Kelvin Jackson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2013
                    IMHO discussions of morality border on NCNC territory, so I would recommend taking this one off list.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    > On Nov 9, 2013, at 15:59, Casey Borders <thebeast.13@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > OK.
                    >> On Nov 9, 2013 3:58 PM, "MorphemeAddict" <lytlesw@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Punishment for the perp might not be as effective as therapy and
                    >> counselling. "Irreparable flaw"? You might as well shoot him, then.
                    >>
                    >> stevo
                    >>

                    >> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Casey Borders <thebeast.13@...
                    >>> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> I can't imagine what would make someone think that setting a person (or
                    >> any
                    >>> living thing) on fire is a reasonable thing to do! I know the
                    >> perpetrator
                    >>> is just a boy but I can't help but hope that he is severely punished as
                    >>> this incident has to indicate a truly deep-seeded, irreparable flaw.
                    >>>>
                    >> http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Teen-whose-skirt-was-set-ablaze-begins-surgery-4961732.php

                  • C. Brickner
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2013
                      What is the difference between CHAT and OT? It seems to me that this topic is way OT.
                      Charlie

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 10, 2013
                        There isn't much of one, really. I went with "CHAT" because, while it
                        is not about linguistics or conlangING per se, the original topic *is*
                        about a conlangER.