OT (a little): An anachronism discovered

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2013
      Oh dear-- in my Locowrimo story  a  couple years back, I had a youngish Terran making first contact with the Kash. As he mentions in the story, a nuclear war had occurred on Earth about 300 years before, and the Aliens arrived about 50 years later to help rescue the situation. Assuming that this war was between USSR and USA around 1980s and Aliens reached earth in ~2030 (watch for it!!!) , that means that the story is taking place sometime in the 2300s AD or so (I think it ought to be later, but....) 2300s Terran would be ~1060s Cindu

      then there is mention in the story of the nuclear war that took took place on Cindu "about 750 years ago".  The problem is, that 750 figure is from the present day 2000s AD-- their war took place in 2701 old count (~991 AD); new count began in 2704, and it is presently around mid-761 (2013AD) new count. And the Aliens arrived there and helped their situation in 548 new (1728 AD).

      So I've gotten my two stories mixed up... in 1728 AD there could not possibly have been a Terran in the Aliens' crew.  What to do, if anything?

      Well, perhaps early in the 1700s AD, the Aliens (who we know have always been watching our planet and are capable of anything...) swooped in and abducted a promising young Terran, trained him, and then sent him out on the exploratory/rescue expedition to Cindu? How's that for suspension of disbelief?? Meh....

      Or maybe, the contact described in the story isn't a _ first contact_ but a later check-up as to how things are going?????? I dunno.