McWhorter's 500 things language classes

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2013
      Thinking about Installment 1, I realized that I could use the caka- 'accidental prefix' for some of these, esp. since that derivation often implies something unpleasant, outside the agent's control.  Therefore--

      His face was covered with blood  katini {ya/caka-/covered]
      luhu     no word for cover, grr.

      Could be: katini cakaluhu. (the 3s prefix isn't really necessary in this case.)

      And:
      I nearly got run over.     morani caka-(run over)

      Could be: morani me cakamatra ñaki (lit. almost to.me caka-break/smash (by) car [or any other suitable vehicle]). The animate agent/experience of these forms goes in the dative case. A word meaning 'crush' would be better, but the closest we've got is _cunjun_ 'grind up, pulverize' which I suppose could be extended to 'crush'.. so we gotta go with what we got....(so in this case we'd have _morani me cakacunjun ñaki_ maybe a little too strong-- suppose it was only your foot that got run over...? .