Font Creation [was: Xiis, my first writing system]

  • James Kane
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 18, 2013
      George

      You were certainly right about FontForge being difficult to download,
      install, open and use. I'm currently halfway through downloading
      Cygwin, which apparently FontForge won't work without but is taking
      forever. I am considering just going with Graphite. Does it still work
      with Inkscape as the input? And is the limited number of applications
      that support it really an issue if all I'm going to do is make images
      of the font?

      I noticed on SIL's website a new app based on Graphite called Graide.
      I think it's only in beta-release or something like that, but I was
      wondering if anyone knew anything about it or whether it might be
      better than Graphite itself.

      Inkscape was on the other hand very easy to install, and there was a
      tutorial on the CBB on how to make simple maps with it, which should
      be fun while I try to work out all this font stuff.

      Thanks again for the tutorial :)

      James

      --
      (This is my signature.)
    • Siva Kalyan
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 18, 2013
        You could always install FontForge on Linux (which it's written for, as is Inkscape). Though of course installing Linux would take a while, too….

        Siva

        --
        (This is my signature.)
      • Daniel Bowman
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 18, 2013
          I agree, installing Linux would be easier. There are ways to install it
          inside your current operating system, or turn your computer into a dual
          boot. However, these are pretty drastic solutions just for font creation
          purposes.

        • George Marques de Jesus
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 18, 2013
            > On 19 October 2013 at 14:38:23, James Kane (kanejam@...) wrote:

            > > George
            > >
            > > You were certainly right about FontForge being difficult to download,
            > > install, open and use. I'm currently halfway through downloading
            > > Cygwin, which apparently FontForge won't work without but is taking
            > > forever. I am considering just going with Graphite. Does it still work
            > > with Inkscape as the input?

            Directly, no. But Inkscape can make SVG fonts, which can then be converted
            to TTF with an online conversion tool. There's a tutorial at
            http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/inkscape-dings/ that explains
            the process. That TTF can then be used with Graphite.

            I believe that pre-built installers works best on Windows. They can be
            found here: http://www.mpetroff.net/software/fontforge-windows/ . IIRC,
            that's what I used when I installed it.

            Of course, installing Linux, be as dual-boot or in a virtual machine, is an
            option but, as Daniel Bowman said, it's a drastic solution.

            > > And is the limited number of applications
            > > that support it really an issue if all I'm going to do is make images
            > > of the font?

            That's really up to you. If you're going to use only for that, it's not
            really an issue.

            > > I noticed on SIL's website a new app based on Graphite called Graide.
            > > I think it's only in beta-release or something like that, but I was
            > > wondering if anyone knew anything about it or whether it might be
            > > better than Graphite itself.

            Graide is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that can be used to
            streamline and facilitate the job of writing a Graphite program. It can
            help with some things (like debugging, which help find out why a certain
            rule is not working). However, I never actually used it myself, so I can't
            tell much.

            > > Inkscape was on the other hand very easy to install, and there was a
            > > tutorial on the CBB on how to make simple maps with it, which should
            > > be fun while I try to work out all this font stuff.
            > >
            > > Thanks again for the tutorial :)

            You're welcome!

            George Marques
          • James Kane
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 19, 2013
              Thanks for the link to the installer. I was trying to do it off the
              download on the site which was very weird, and seemed to require
              cygwin. I also wasn't about to run a whole virtual machine for one
              small program off a two year old laptop either :P

              Thanks for the responses though. I will try the font forge installer
              and hold off on trying graphite just yet.

              James

              --
              (This is my signature.)
            • BPJ
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19, 2013
                2013-10-19 05:44, Daniel Bowman skrev:
                > I agree, installing Linux would be easier. There are ways to
                > install it inside your current operating system, or turn your
                > computer into a dual boot. However, these are pretty drastic
                > solutions just for font creation purposes.

                It's arguably easier to install an Ubuntu dual boot/virtual
                machine than to install Cygwin -- and once you're done you'll use
                Windows only for playing games! ;-) but you would still have to
                build Fontforge yourself though, since the version in the
                repositories is olden, and that's not altogether easy, at least
                if you want all the bells and whistles.

                /bpj

                > 2013/10/18 Siva Kalyan <sivakalyan.princeton@...>
                >
                >> You could always install FontForge on Linux (which it's
                >> written for, as is Inkscape). Though of course installing
                >> Linux would take a while, too….
                >>
                >> Siva
                >>
                >> On 19 October 2013 at 14:38:23, James Kane
                >> (kanejam@...) wrote:
                >>
                >> George
                >>
                >> You were certainly right about FontForge being difficult to
                >> download, install, open and use. I'm currently halfway
                >> through downloading Cygwin, which apparently FontForge won't
                >> work without but is taking forever. I am considering just
                >> going with Graphite. Does it still work with Inkscape as the
                >> input? And is the limited number of applications that support
                >> it really an issue if all I'm going to do is make images of
                >> the font?
                >>
                >> I noticed on SIL's website a new app based on Graphite called
                >> Graide. I think it's only in beta-release or something like
                >> that, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it or
                >> whether it might be better than Graphite itself.
                >>
                >> Inkscape was on the other hand very easy to install, and
                >> there was a tutorial on the CBB on how to make simple maps
                >> with it, which should be fun while I try to work out all this
                >> font stuff.
                >>
                >> Thanks again for the tutorial :)
                >>

                >> James
                >>
                >> On 10/18/13, George Marques de Jesus
                >> <georgemjesus@...> wrote:

                >>> Yes, that's true. Since I'm basically the only one using it,
                >>> there's no
                >> big
                >>> deal. And it lessen the job of making a new keyboard layout
                >>> and/or input method for it.
                >>>
                >>> George Marques
                >>>

                >> --
                >> (This is my signature.)

              • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 19, 2013
                  On 19 October 2013 15:51, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:

                  > It's arguably easier to install an Ubuntu dual boot/virtual
                  > machine than to install Cygwin -- and once you're done you'll use
                  > Windows only for playing games! ;-) but you would still have to
                  > build Fontforge yourself though, since the version in the
                  > repositories is olden, and that's not altogether easy, at least
                  > if you want all the bells and whistles.

                  Actually, the current version of Ubuntu (Saucy Salamander, released just a
                  few days ago) has an up-to-date version of Fontforge. However, if, like me,
                  you follow the LTS releases of Ubuntu, then you're stuck indeed with a
                  buggy and out-of-date version of the program, at least until the next LTS
                  release in 6 months.
                  --
                  Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

                  http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
                • David McCann
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 19, 2013
                    On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:51:28 +0200
                    BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:

                    > It's arguably easier to install an Ubuntu dual boot/virtual
                    > machine than to install Cygwin -- and once you're done you'll use
                    > Windows only for playing games! ;-) but you would still have to
                    > build Fontforge yourself though, since the version in the
                    > repositories is olden, and that's not altogether easy, at least
                    > if you want all the bells and whistles.

                    There are certainly many advantages to Linux (although I may be making
                    a rash claim, as I've never had Windows). If you've created a font,
                    it's easy to create a keyboard driver for it, for example.

                    I wouldn't advise Ubunbtu, though, unless you like a GUI that makes
                    your computer look as if it's turned into a phone. It also can be very
                    hostile towards older hardware. Mint or PCLinuxOS are best for
                    beginners (out of the 111 distros I've tried, at least!)
                  • Siva Kalyan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 19, 2013
                      Being a Mac user, I quite like a GUI that makes my computer look as if it's
                      turned into a phone! It's called "good design" (cue mudslinging ;-) ).

                      2013年10月20日日曜日 David McCann david@...:

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 19, 2013
                        2013-10-19 17:33, David McCann skrev:
                        > On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:51:28 +0200
                        > BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> It's arguably easier to install an Ubuntu dual boot/virtual
                        >> machine than to install Cygwin -- and once you're done you'll use
                        >> Windows only for playing games! ;-) but you would still have to
                        >> build Fontforge yourself though, since the version in the
                        >> repositories is olden, and that's not altogether easy, at least
                        >> if you want all the bells and whistles.
                        >
                        > There are certainly many advantages to Linux (although I may be making
                        > a rash claim, as I've never had Windows). If you've created a font,
                        > it's easy to create a keyboard driver for it, for example.
                        >
                        > I wouldn't advise Ubunbtu, though, unless you like a GUI that makes
                        > your computer look as if it's turned into a phone. It also can be very
                        > hostile towards older hardware. Mint or PCLinuxOS are best for
                        > beginners (out of the 111 distros I've tried, at least!)

                        It's dead easy to install, which was my point.

                        /bpj