Re: Spoken Indo-European

  • taliesin the storyteller
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2013
      On 2013-10-01 12:42, Alex Fink wrote:
      > Konsonantenwandel: Bausteine zu einer Typologie des Lautwandels und
      > ihre Konsequenzen für die vergleichende Rekonstruktion

      http://www.amazon.com/Konsonantenwandel-Lautwandels-Konsequenzen-vergleichende-Rekonstruktion/dp/3895005908

      At "just" $99 it's not the most expensive linguistics-book I've come
      across... but then again, I try to collect reference grammars.

      t.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2013
        On 01/10/2013 02:18, Padraic Brown wrote:
        >> this video is not available in my location, and I think
        >> it will not be available in the location of other
        >> members of this mailing list.

        Nope - not available in this location either.

        >> Is this the same spoken indo-european fables shown
        >> here:
        >> http://archaeology.org/exclusives/articles/1302-proto-indo-european-schleichers-fable
        >>

        >>?
        >
        > Sounds about like the same voice. Some guy from Uni. of
        > Kentucky.

        Right - let's assume it is.

        > You can find others on Youtube if you'd like to compare.

        Not at the moment, thanks :)

        It might be of academic interest, but there's no reason IMO
        to suppose that any will have a more authentic pronunciation
        than another.

        On 01/10/2013 02:16, Padraic Brown wrote:
        [snip]
        > ...the fable was first written in 1868 and ónly júst nòw
        > this guy comes along and reads it aloud for the very
        > first time in the history of the universe?
        >
        > Sadly, this kind of inane sensationalism is all too
        > typical of Yahoo Snews. I mean really?

        Yep, a bit of a stupid claim, to put it mildly. And as for
        the ridiculous claim "Language Spoken for First Time in
        4,000-Plus Years" .......
        words fail me.

        I'm fairly that if some PIE-speaking of 4000 or so yeas ago
        heard that video clip s/he wouldn't recognize the language ;)

        We can get probably a fairly reasonable reconstruction of
        Classical Latin; be even with all the evidence we have there
        are some areas of doubt. There is no doubt in my mind that
        if we were able to travel back in time, it would take us a
        bit of of time to communicate readily with say Caesar,
        Cicero or Vergil. Going back earlier to Classical Greece,
        and the problem becomes much greater; I've no doubt a time
        traveler, who knew Classical Greek, arriving in Athens in
        the 5th century BC would not be readily understood nor would
        s/he readily understand the language they heard.

        To go back to the PIE of 4000 or so years presents even
        greater problems. IMO it is highly unlikely that a modern
        reconstruction will faithfully represent something last
        heard 4000-plus years ago!

        > "Here it is for the first time ever"?? Schleicher's
        > Fable has been on Youtube for a couple years at least,
        > read by several different folks and one even has a nice
        > animation. I'm sure the author himself read it aloud a
        > time or three during his career,

        I'm darn sure he did, way back in 1868!

        I remember coming across this some 60 years ago. I did read
        it, tho even then I was aware that ideas about PIE had moved
        on a bit.

        > and quite probably all the authors of subsequent
        > modifications read their versions as well.

        Well, of course they did.

        As Eric Powell writes: "Since there is considerable
        disagreement among scholars about PIE, no one version can be
        considered definitive." Of course they can't. The only way
        to get a definitive version and really hear what PIE sounded
        like is to discover the secret of time-travel ;)

        "For the umpteenth time ever, hear a modern reconstruction
        of what a language spoken 4000-plus years ago may have
        possibly sounded like."

        for individual beings and events."
      • Andrew Jarrette
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2013
          Yes, it's the same as the one you mention.

          Andrew