A Small Interactive Conlanging Project of mine

  • Nico Baier
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2013
      I've been away from conlanging for a while (turns out grad school gets in the way of hobbies, sometimes, who knew?). I've decided to jump start getting back into it with a little experiment.

      Instead of just posting updates at my own pace, I have made two threads, one on the ZBB and one on the CBB. Both were seeded with the same initial sketchy phonology, and then I told people to ask me questions about how I deal with various morphosyntactic phenomena in the language, without ever having thought about it before. These are questions like, "how do you form relative clauses", "How do non-verbal predicates work?", "is there case?".

      My job is to answer those prompts, and if something isn't in place for me to answer that question, make it up as I go along. I've found it's gotten me actively thinking of multiple areas of the grammar at once, which has been very helpful.

      The two threads are influencing each other, so anything said in one thread is valid in the other. I would like to expand the horizons though, and have people ask me questions here, as well, if they would be so kind. I think the more eyes on this the better, and the fast questions are generated. I'm trying to answer at least one a day.

      I've included links to the two threads, and if people would like, I can post the latest version of the phonology in this thread as well. I may write up some kind of evolving summary document when I have the chance, so that there will be one source for the grammar.

      ZBB Thread: http://tinyurl.com/kphnaxp
      CBB Thread: http://tinyurl.com/lmlhzqr

      There you can see some of the decisions I've already made. If it would be easier, I can also post the phonology sketch in a direct reply to this message.

      Fire away!
    • Alex Fink
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013
        On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:18:48 -0400, Nico Baier <nico.baier@...> wrote:

        >I've been away from conlanging for a while (turns out grad school gets in the way of hobbies, sometimes, who knew?). I've decided to jump start getting back into it with a little experiment.
        [...]

        Neat. I'll toss in a few:

        - Are there any sort of serial verbs or complex predicate constructions?
        - How are locative predicates done ("the dog is in the tree"?) How 'bout attributively ("the dog in the tree saw me"?)
        - Are there morphological limitations on the use of your verbal stem extensions, e.g. on the number which can occur at once? Are they involved in any nontrivial morphophonology? (Various Niger-Congo languages have interesting things here, tied to morphophonological constraints on the maximal base and suchlike.)

        Alex